Chapter 38

John

Present

Victoria has been very cold in the last couple of days, and I'm starting to get the feeling that I've done something wrong. But what? I was finally wrapping my head around the idea of proposing, but with each day that she rejects me, the pit in my stomach grows. She hasn't been home in two days, and Marshall hasn't offered any intel on her whereabouts. I guess that's the blessing and curse of your boss being your almost father-in-law.

I remind myself that although I haven't argued with her, I also am likely not the most pleasant person to be around. Even with my mother finally slowing down on the incessant calls, just the fact that she does makes me agitated. And when that happens, coupled with my mounting work that I've been slacking on, I liken myself to an ogre who hasn't eaten in days.

Maybe I did shout.

I haven't eaten a solid meal in at least 72 hours. I was hungry and Victoria hasn't been cooking. I've been staying at the office longer and longer, telling myself it's to catch up on work when I really haven't done a damn thing. Marshall has noticed, but he's the kind of boss that trusts his employees which makes me even more anxious because my mom hasn't called. Why hasn't she called and why do I want her to now after being pissed off when she does?

Maybe I did push Victoria away.

Maybe I am to blame.

I am the not-so-perfect mixture of my parents. No wonder Victoria is keeping her distance. I'll have to make things right. I just hope it's not too late. I love her.