Chapter 50

John

Present

Marshall is talking but his voice sounds like he's speaking to me while I'm under water. He's asking me questions, but I can't quite make out what he's saying. My body is becoming rigid and my fists clench into tight balls as I dig them into my seat cushion. My head thrashes side to side, and the more I try to contain myself, the more powerless I am. I can't stop what's happening, and I don't understand why my body is betraying me. One minute I was completely fine and the next thing I know, every part of me feels detached and running independently as if I had short circuited and nobody could find the breaker box. 

"Help!" I plead. Beads of sweat trickle down my face and drip like little shocks of electricity onto my chest and neck. My skin is burning. I want to rip my shirt off to cool down, but I can't move.

"Just try to calm down John, try to get through it. You must get through this part to heal. Keep pushing through," Marshall directs. All I can think is, I must be having a seizure if nobody is willing to touch me.

"Breathe, John. Take deep breaths and continue," Marshall says sternly as he locks eyes with me. Then, suddenly, the phone rings.

"Don't answer!" I scream.

"John, I think you need to answer it. I think it's time you calm down and just answer the phone." Marshall presses. I'm still disoriented, but I force myself to breathe as Marshall instructed and little by little I begin to relax.

"Get Victoria. I want her to be here," I demand. But as my eyes allow me to focus on Marshall, he shakes his head.

"You can do this on your own. Just answer the phone John." I bury my head in my hands.

"I can't do it. I can't." I wipe my brow with a handkerchief and dab the back of my neck.

"It's time. You can do this John. Keep going." I look at him, sitting across from me and watch him calmly clasp his hands into his lap. I reach over and pick up the receiver.