Chapter 41

John

I was a match and insisted they take whatever they needed from me right away. I didn't want to waste any time, and I'm sure Rose's parents didn't either. It went very well according to my nurses. I was sent to rest back in my room after forcing every nurse to swear they would keep me posted on Rose's recovery. They all agreed and pumped me full of morphine so that I would rest.

Roach called parents, make sure Mary Beth had company after her own surgery, brought us flowers and fresh clothes from the gift shop. He promised to stay until we were all cleared to go home. Mickey had left once his father arrived and before he exited my room, he leaned over and wrapped his arms around my shoulders.

"I love you man and if you tell anyone I said that, I'll kill you myself," he pulled back and winked.

"Yeah yeah, just make sure you get home safe and let me know how they like Jen." I waved as he left my room and almost immediately my nurse, Joyce, walked in.

"Am I going to live?" I joked and sat up.

"Very funny kid," she chuckled. "There's someone here to see you. Will you be accepting visitors?" she asked. I knew better than to think it was Rose, and Roach was just in here. A fleeting thought crossed my mind that it might be Becky, so I nodded and tried to appear like I didn't feel like I was just hit by a bus. I prepared myself for the third degree she would likely be giving me now that she knew I wasn't going to die. But just as the thought of her entered my mind, dread gripped me like a vise. I don't know how, but I knew it wasn't Becky. The clack of her heels on the hospital floor, her chattering as if always in a hurry and then the smell of smoke wafted through my sterile room. My mother was here.

"Oh,my God, John! Are you okay?! What happened to you?!" She howled as she flung herself on top of me.

"I'm fine, who called you? What are you doing here?" I asked, really wanting to know who on Earth would call her.

"Well honey, I'm your mother. Of course I would be called if you were hurt. Don't be silly!" she said half sincere, half insulted as she vigorously rubbed my arm and tucked the sheets in around my legs.

"Who called you," I asked again. She paused and bit on her lower lip. "Better yet, how did they call you?" As far as I knew, nobody had a way of contacting her when she left.

"Funny story, you see...it's best we get you out of here first," she says as she begins to fold back the blanket that she just finished jamming into my side, then reached to smooth my hair.

"No Mom. I have to stay here until they discharge me. I can't just walk out." I hoped she got the irony of my statement.

"Well, we need to get you out of here. You can recover at home, with me. I can take care of you!" She seemed unusually jumpy. I wondered if she had snorted something before coming up.

"What's wrong with you?" I feel my blood begin to boil and my bones tremor in frustration. "I'm fine! Everything is fine, just go! I don't want you here!" I yelled, hoping a nurse overheard and removed her from my room. I'd have done it myself if I could.

"Why all the shouting, John?" Joyce rushed back in.

"Get her out!" I glared at my mother. She paced back and forth and stopped suddenly at the foot of my bed.