36

|3rd Person POV|

As the sun began to rise, she was still sitting in her place for hours, feeling as if she was a prisoner in the shadows, searching for him in every corner, wishing that this was just one of her nightmares that she was used to, but there was no escape from this truth, his body lying in front of her... Where was his smile? His eyes? His warm voice? she would not be able to have all of this anymore.

She soon realized that hope had begun to fade like a dim light at the end of a dark tunnel... Her loneliness was suffocating, as if the world around her had frozen in a moment of endless pain. Feelings of loss took hold of her, suffocating her as if it were a thick fog covering everything... Her life stopped at that moment.

The sound of the wind was whispering his name, and those memories that were beautiful became bleeding wounds in her soul that died with him... Her eyes were searching every corner for the remains of his presence, but all she found was the emptiness he left behind, like a room devoid of furniture, in which the shadows of memories were reflected... There was nothing but the echo of her pained voice, reverberating in the corners of her heart.

She raised her head from his chest then looked at his face for the last time, placed the last kiss then stood in front of him... Mehmet was her lover, her soul mate and her husband but she must also remember that he is a sultan and she cannot keep him here forever... As he told her the coming days will be difficult but he also gave her the key to overcome many of those difficulties... It is the paper that is considered his last will.

She must try to stand firm now for the safety of all her children... The first thing she must do is talk to Aymen Pasha and tell him what happened then he will definitely tell her what they must do.

She walked hesitantly towards the door, turned to look at the bed where Mehmet's body was lying... It lasted for a few seconds, then she opened the door to find Aymen Pasha already standing there.

"Sultana" he said quickly upon seeing her as if the long hours of waiting were finally over "How is the Sultan's health now?"

She took a deep breath then looked at the ground, and this was enough movement to make Aymen understand everything, he looked pale and shocked at first, then his feet led him inside where he stood in front of the bed and bowed to his friend and Sultan.

He took a few minutes to say goodbye while Mehmet's commandments that he had said to him yesterday kept running through his mind "If something happens , I want you to stand by my family.. My wife will need someone who can be trusted and this person will be you... I want you to be with every political step that Nurgül and Selim take.."

Aymen returned to Nurgül after wiping his eyes and stood like a soldier ready to sacrifice his life for this empire.

"Sultana, do you have any orders?" He lowered his head waiting for what she would say.

She replied in a low and tired voice "Everything should go smoothly, we don't need any problems" She gave him the paper "This is Sultan Mehmed's will"

Aymen took the paper and while reading it he seemed surprised at first but he soon understood the matter and seemed very satisfied because the Sultan before his departure did something great for his sons.

"So Sultana, everything should be ready" He moved his head "Şehzade Selim should know about it"

Nurgül raised her hand "I will talk to him"

--------

|Nurgül's POV|

I was standing in front of Selim's bed, watching him as he slept peacefully, an eleven-year-old child, despite his chivalry and intelligence, this responsibility was much greater than him... You can't give an empire to someone of this age and leave him in this difficult situation alone.

I moved closer and sat next to him, running my hand through his hair, he loves his father very much, so how am I supposed to tell him that his father is gone?

"Mother" he said in a calm voice as he moved from his place after my hand movements in his hair woke him up.

"My dear son" I smiled a little trying to hide my tears and it's good that the lighting was low "Selim" I moved closer and placed a kiss on his forehead.

"Is my father okay?" He asked quickly...Of course he is smart and my presence here at this time will make him understand the matter quickly.

"Your father, Sultan Mehmet Khan, is no longer with us" The tears began to fall one after the other, announcing the approach of a waterfall of tears.

Selim threw himself into my arms and started crying silently and I let him do so, of course I wouldn't stop him from showing his sadness but all I had to do was support him.

After some time I moved away a little and took his face in my hands "My dear, my lion Selim you know what awaits you but don't worry I will be by your side on this difficult journey"

I also have to understand what I am about to do, Mehmet chose me to be the regent and that means I will run this country and make the decisions that will determine its fate... I have no experience in politics but I will try.. I have to learn.

---------

I was wearing a black dress with all my children beside me, I spent the past hour trying to calm them down and support them, some of them know that their father is dead and others all they understood is that they will never see their father again... Razye and Hafize were also with me a little while ago.

It's time, I kissed all my children, wiped my tears as I took a deep breath and went out holding Selim's hand who was dressed and seemed ready, not mentally of course but he's trying to show his composure in front of me.

I was scared... very scared because I never expected that I would be put in this situation... Finally wee approached one of the corridors where Aymen Pasha was standing.

"Aymen Pasha" I sighed a little then looked at Selim "I trust you, take care of this"

He looked at me in surprise "Won't you be by his side as the regent?"

I passed my hand behind Selim's hair calmly "I'm not in a condition that allows me to do that, you stand by him" I was very broken because today there was nothing to be happy about, it was my husband's funeral and my innocent little son ascending to a throne full of problems.

I hugged Selim and lowered myself a little in front of him "I will watch you from afar, you can do it"

He moved his head then took my hand and kissed it "Don't worry mother"

I stood up then approached Aymen Pasha and started speaking in a low voice so that Selim wouldn't hear "After finishing all this I want the heads of those who were the reason behind my husband's death"

Aymen Pasha started as if he was already waiting for the same thing "Don't worry Sultana"

After about half an hour I was standing in the Tower of Justice with Hafize and Razye watching Selim ascending the throne while signs of sadness covered our faces, in fact all my eyes were watching was Mehmet's coffin... I was crying silently.

-------------

-Edirne: Where Mihrimah Sultan was exiled-

She was sitting on a sofa in the garden while drinking some coffee and watching her daughter who was planting some flowers until one of her maids approached her.

"Sultana" she bowed respectfully to her.

"What?" Mihrimah Sultan replied without taking her eyes off her daughter.

"You received an important letter" She handed it to her and remained standing in her place.

Mihrimah calmly put down the cup of coffee then took the letter and opened it to see its contents, with every second her facial features changed in a strange way and her eyes widened.

"Sultana are you okay?" The maid approached her more.

Mihrimah remained silent for a while as if she was thinking deeply then put the letter beside her.

"Sultan Mehmet is dead, after making my children orphans, now his children will also experience the same thing... The day he banished me, he was no longer my brother" She took the cup of coffee again "We have been waiting for many years and now it is our chance to take revenge on that British snake" she smiled then drank from her cup.