Anywhere

DISCLAIMER: listen to the music track above as you're reading this part to get the serenity across.

Calvin and Paul were carried across Africa and into a cave.

As they got further and further from the cave's opening, it became pitch black. 

Soon, they were being carried through a tunnel where the cave's ceiling looked like the night sky. 

And the walls were dotted with pink and blue crystals. 

Then they were dropped and the tunnel closed before they could even try to escape. 

Calvin took a good look around him and saw that this strange place looked exactly like a forest at night. 

There was a pond in the middle of the area, freshly mown grass with clover, and big trees.

There were stars in the sky and a bright full moon.

The strangest part was, while the tunnel was really thin and narrow, this cavern was large enough to stand in. 

Paul lifted his head and looked around. "Are we grounded?"

"I think so" said Calvin. "Are we alive?"

"I hope so. Unless we're angels" said Paul.

"I don't think anyone the IT grabs becomes an angel" said Calvin. 

Paul stood up and walked around. "Where did it bring us?"

"Into a cave with weird landscapes?" said Calvin. 

"This one isn't so weird. I think it's rather pretty" said Paul.

"It's pretty alright. I admit. I just wish I recognized it" said Calvin. 

"I dunno. We could be anywhere" said Paul.

"That's correct. You are in Anywhere" said a deep voice.

"Who said that?" said Paul.

"Uh, that's the IT itself" said Calvin.

"Yes indeed. Welcome, gentlemen... to Anywhere" said the IT.

"We know you're not truly welcoming us. What are you doing?" said Calvin. 

"I'm doing nothing. Anything that happens depends on you" said the IT.

"On us?" said Paul.

"Yes. And how long it takes for you to make it happen. But I know for certain that you'll never escape" said the IT.

Then it let out a deep chuckle and its voice faded. 

"I don't like that. What if we really never escape?" said Paul.

"Don't lose your nerve, Paul; that's exactly what the IT wants" said Calvin. "If we wanna get outta here, we need to do the exact opposite."

"What's that?"

"Stay hopeful."