A Solid Plan

Paul found Calvin on the other side of the beach on a rock jetty. 

"Calvin!" Paul called.

He ran up the jetty and Calvin looked at him with concern.

"Paul, what is it?" said Calvin.

"You're not going to believe this, old boy. I tried my hardest to tell Jackie the truth" said Paul.

"And?"

"And she took my pleading the wrong way and decided we're engaged."

"What?" said Calvin with shock.

"I tried to get through to her, but she just wouldn't listen" said Paul.

"Gayle did warn me about her poor listening skills, but I didn't think they were that bad" said Calvin. 

"Well, maybe it's a good thing. I'm not married anyway" said Paul.

Calvin looked at the boy with a serious face. "But Jeremy is."

"He is?"

"Yeah. And further, he's on his way here. None of this is good" said Calvin.

"Oh yes... whatever will we do?" said Paul.

"Well, the first thing we should do is let Jeremy know about this. Gayle and Dorcas are probably taking care of Jackie right now" said Calvin. 

Meantime, the others were still riding their horses when Sam's flip-phone rang.

"Yeah?" she said as she answered it.

"Sam, it's Calvin. Where are you?" said Calvin. 

"We're just about to head through the Shepherd Forest. Then we'll be there" said Sam.

"Well, that's good. But Paul and I now have an even bigger problem" said Calvin. "Where's Jeremy?"

"On the horse next to mine" said Sam.

The three of them stopped their horses and Sam turned on the loudspeaker.

"Listen. Paul tried telling Jackie the truth and she didn't let him finish" said Calvin.

"Oh dear, what did she do?" said Jeremy.

"She is now planning a wedding for her and Paul" said Calvin.

"Pardon me?!" Jeremy snapped. 

"She thought Paul was proposing?" said Charles Wallace.

"Yeah, and that's what she went with" said Calvin. "And now I don't think she's gonna listen to anyone about the truth."

"I'm not surprised" said Jeremy. 

"Jeremy, I hate to say this, but I think the only way to get Jackie to listen is for you to tell the truth yourself" said Calvin.

"I'd rather get enslaved by the IT than speak to that cheat" said Jeremy stubbornly. 

"But Jeremy, your words will sound natural around her and not scripted like Paul's" said Charles Wallace. 

"I could be wrong, but I don't think she cares how the words sound" said Calvin.

"But still. Maybe the wedding should happen. Jackie might actually get the drift if Jeremy sabotages it" said Sam.

"I like that idea. Seeing them together will definitely make her question things" said Calvin.

"Please, Jeremy? You'll be saving both Paul and yourself if you do it" said Charles Wallace.

"And it'll be my way out. The cave feeds on honesty. If we use enough of it, it'll help us escape" said Calvin.

Jeremy softened. "Well... alright. But what do we do if we succeed? Because the IT will know everything."

"We'll think of something" said Sam.

"Okay. The first step is for you guys to get here" said Calvin. "And hurry."