I Have an Idea

"Exactly how long have you all been here?" said Calvin.

"About three or four years" said Gayle.

"Four years? Okay, we have to get you out of here" said Calvin.

"We've tried everything, sir" said Jackie.

"Indeed we have, but there's no way out. It's enchanted" said Dorcas.

"Enchanted, eh? That's the last thing I'd expect the IT to do. Enchant something" said Calvin.

"What we mean, dear, is that its dark powers are far too strong. And there seems to be no way to weaken them" said Dorcas.

"Sir, you said you've encountered the IT before. Do you know if there's a way to weaken it?" said Jackie.

"Light usually works, but we don't get much of that here" said Calvin. 

"Oh, I do hope we find some way out" said Gayle. "Our fans must be wondering."

"Your fans? Are you famous?" said Calvin. 

"Jackie here and I are members of a ten-person band. The New Christy Minstrels" said Gayle.

Calvin smiled. "Hey, I know that band. You guys did a mean cover of the Chim Chiminey song."

"Thank you" said Jackie politely. 

"But the two of us go out as a duo quite often. Jackie & Gayle" said Gayle.

"They've always reminded me of that handsome pair of British fellows" said Dorcas.

Calvin smirked. "Chad & Jeremy?"

"Yes!" said Dorcas. "How did you know?"

"I'm a good friend of theirs."

"Are you now?" said Jackie. "Then I'm sure they've you all about me."

"No. Do you know them?"

"I used to go out with Jeremy."

Calvin's jaw dropped. "Jeremy? Jeremy Clyde?"

"The end of it was my fault. I cheated on him. And evidently, he still hasn't forgiven me" said Jackie.

"You do seem sorry about it, but I never thought of cheating as a forgivable action" said Calvin.

"Most people don't" said Jackie. "But oh, what I'd give to apologize to him again. See him just once more. Let him know I still think of him."

Seeing the longing and loving expression on Jackie's face gave Calvin an idea.

He knew how he could weaken the IT and escape this colorful death trap. 

"Excuse me for a minute, you three" said Calvin. 

He went back to where he started and found Paul still looking around. 

"Paul. There are more prisoners here" he said.

"There are?"

"Yeah. And one of them is Jeremy's ex-girlfriend. This changes things."

"How?"

"I know how we can weaken the IT and find our way out."

"I'm ready" said Paul eagerly. 

"Jackie back there is still in love with Jeremy. And what really finishes the IT is love" Calvin explained. "You go back there and pretend your Jeremy so Jackie's love for him will sabotage the IT's powers."

"Calvin, I'd be lying if I did that" said Paul.

"True, but it's also playing to win. Like stealing signs in baseball" said Calvin.

"How is that translated?" said Paul. 

Calvin thought of another way to put it. "It's like... knowing what your opponent is performing in a competition and making sure you sing better."

"Oh, now I understand" said Paul. "But I feel strange using my cousin like that."

"Come on, Paul; everyone thinks you're Jeremy. You look just like him" said Calvin. "Besides, it's not like he's gonna walk in on you. He doesn't know where we are."

"That's true..."

"It's just for a bit. I saw the woman's face; it's gonna work" said Calvin.

"Well... oh, alright" said Paul. 

"Let the espionage begin. But for now, we have some planning to do" said Calvin.

"Planning?"

"Yeah. Like how we're gonna spin this without the IT suspecting" said Calvin.