The Bards

DISCLAIMER: Turn on this track when the characters get to the river.

In Anywhere, Paul approached Calvin who was just hanging up the phone.

"This plan is working great. She's completely oblivious" said Paul.

"About that" said Calvin with a grimace.

Paul's smile dropped. "What's the matter?"

"My fellow Warriors are on their way to save us" said Calvin.

"That's good."

"Yeah, but they're bringing your cousin with them. I think we need to confess that you're not him" said Calvin.

Paul thought about it. "I suppose so. If he comes in and Jackie sees him, she'll think she's gone mad.

"True. Also, Jeremy doesn't like the idea of using you like that" said Calvin. "And what kind of warrior would I be if I used dishonesty to save myself?"

"Then it's settled. We're telling Jackie this was a scheme" said Paul.

"Yeah. You can tell her when you hang out later" said Calvin. 

Paul looked at his watch. "Speaking of, it's just about that time. I have to go." 

"Good luck" said Calvin. "But you can't tell her I'm one of the Three Warriors."

"Why not?"

"Because if she knows, word will get out and the IT will know we're trying to escape."

"I s'pose."

"Now go. Before the scheme gets out of hand."

Meantime, in the desert, Charles Wallace, Jeremy and Sam were headed in the direction of the storm.

"I just thought of something" said Jeremy. "I found out I was pregnant right before Paul and Calvin got taken. You don't think my pregnancy's got anything to do with the IT, do you?"

"Feh!" Sam scoffed. "Even the IT doesn't have that kind of power."

Charles Wallace got a good look at Jeremy's stomach. "I think it might."

Sam looked herself. "Gawrsh. It's only been a couple of days and you look four months along."

Jeremy looked at his belly and saw that it was bigger than it was supposed to be. "Now I know this is some sort of magic."

"It usually is. We'll figure it out as soon as we find Calvin" said Charles Wallace.

They walked and they walked and they walked until sunset. 

The storm led them to a river that was flowing northwest with logs floating on it. 

"Now what?" said Sam. 

"Well, this river is flowing northwest. So I guess we follow it" said Charles Wallace.

"I hate to complain, kids, but I don't think I can walk another step" said Jeremy. 

"Don't worry, Jeremy; there's logs floating here. We can ride one along the current" said Sam. 

The three hopped on a log and floated down the river, which seemed to play its own song. 

Soon, they needed to stop and rest, but they were in the middle of nowhere.

Suddenly, three men in armor and robes rode their horses right towards them.

"Here we are to help" said the first one. 

"Who are you?" said Sam.

"We are the Bards of North Africa" said the second man.

"What's a bard?" said Jeremy. 

"In human terms, an author" said Charles Wallace.

"That's right" said the third bard. "We're authors who write stories of the African spirits. My name is Finnian."

"I'm Bahram."

"And I'm Crispin."

"Well, we're glad we ran into someone. We've been traveling all day and need a place to stay" said Sam.

"Ah, indeed. Join us, and you may rest in our palace" said Crispin. 

"Oh, thanks a million, bards! A palace sounds luxurious" said Charles Wallace.

Each bard took one traveler and rode off, still northwest, so it was useful.