Decision Making

NOTE: listen to this track when reading this part.

Paul needed more than anything to tell Jackie he wasn't who she thought he was. 

He went back to the area where he met her. The one with the waterfall and stream and the golden lights. 

"If only she'd listen" he said to himself.

He decided to try one more time and made his way to the field of jasmine where he found Jackie powdering her face.

Her mirror was in her hand-held compact.

"Jackie" said Paul.

"Darling! I wasn't expecting to see you this late."

"Yes, dear. I'm rather unpredictable, aren't I?" said Paul awkwardly. 

"Oh, I would know" said Jackie with a giggle.

Paul cleared his throat. "Jackie... please listen. Things happened, mistakes were made, and..."

"Why, I don't have a problem with that" said Jackie.

"Please let me finish. I'm not who you think I am" said Paul. 

"Yes, I've noticed that. You certainly have changed" said Jackie.

"I have?" said Paul with hope.

"Yes. I've never seen you wear jeans. Your clothes have looked different since you arrived in this desolate cave" said Jackie.

"I didn't mean..." Paul began.

"But I don't mind. I'd marry you no matter how you dress" said Jackie. 

Then she startled and put a hand to her heart. "That reminds me; I'd best get my beauty sleep for tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?"

"Of course; that's when our wedding is."

Then she skipped away. 

Dorcas and Gayle saw the whole thing and approached Paul. 

"Don't discourage, Paul dear" said Gayle.

Paul's eyes widened. "You know my name?"

"Of course. Your friend Calvin told us everything" said Dorcas. 

"We have been trying to tell Jackie the truth" said Gayle.

"So have I. But she'll probably never listen" said Paul. 

"That's what we've come to tell you, darling" said Dorcas. "Your Jeremy is on his way here now. He'll show himself and Jackie will want to know the truth."

Paul felt his insides relax. "Gear! I knew my cousin would be around."

"Indeed. He sounds very loyal" said Dorcas.

"Oh, he is. The first time I met him, he risked getting thrown in a madhouse to save me" said Paul.

"How brave" said Gayle. 

"Meantime, I shall express my sympathy to you, dearie" said Dorcas stroking Paul's cheek.