Chapter 24

I struggle to catch my breath. An inhuman noise forms at the back of my throat as my head spins and spins.

"I'm sorry" I mutter, pushing myself to my feet. Ashton releases his iron grasp of me, and jumps up.

"We're going to be late for your mothers charity ball." I croak, rubbing the mascara from my cheeks. I start to walk back towards the car, sensing the presence of Ashton close behind.

He hasn't said much, but what can you say to someone in this situation? Sorry? Sorry won't solve anything.

I spot the Range Rover instantly. Laughing to myself lightly at the sight of Ellie and Jake pacing the length of the car. They both look so out of place in suits and gowns- while children run carelessly about around them.

"What the hell happened?" Jake curses, watching as I return; Ashton behind me.

I turn to look at Ashton, he's chewing his lip viciously. The cogs in his head turning violently. What is he thinking about?

His hands are pushed deeply in his trouser pockets, and he nods towards the car silently.

"It was my fault, I thought she'd got over it" Ellie whispers to Jake.

I turn rapidly to look at her, a look of pure disgust and hatred clearly evident on my face.

"You ok?" Jake whispers to me. Walking slowly toward me, while Ashton and Ellie make their way back around the car.

"I'm fine, we're going to be late" I whisper, walking back towards the Range Rover.

"I'm so sorry Daisey" Ellie says gently, placing a warm hand on my shoulder. I shrug it off almost instantly and ignore her petty apology. She knew what he did. She knew what happened, and what it did to me and yet she still said what she said in front of everyone. And then brushed it off like it was nothing.

The tiniest bit of respect I had left for her has completely vanished now.

~~~~~

We arrive at the entrance gate. Many beautiful women in long stunning dresses float into the mansions grounds, men in equally dapper suits following close behind. The Range Rover pulls into the driveway and begins its mammoth journey to the house itself.

Lanterns light the way along the driveway, people carrying flickering candles in their hands slowly make their way towards the mansion, most chatting and laughing.

I didn't even noticed it'd turned dark outside.

The car journey is silent. No one has spoken since the whole spectacle earlier. I don't blame them, I wouldn't want to get involved either.

Ashton's been eerily silent though. Not once stopping chewing his bottom lip. I can tell he's lost in thought- over what is beyond me.

The crunching gravel beneath the car tells me we're here.

The Range Rover stops instantly, and I eject myself from my seat rapidly. Exiting the car, I slam the door shut and make my way up the vast stone steps.

"Daisey, wait" Ashton sighs, closing his own door before joining me on the stairs.

"What?" I ask, flattening out my dress. (Thankfully there isn't any stains on it)

"Come on, we'll walk in together." he murmurs, holding his hand out effortlessly.

I scoff.

"Don't you think you should be walking in with your girlfriend?"

I don't wait to watch his face drop in surprise. Instead, I saunter into the mansion and grasp the first glass of champagne I see.

Downing it, I take another one and make my way around to the garden.

It's huge. Obviously.

No surprise there.

The greenness of the backyard stretches as far as I can see. Gazebo tents litter the garden, and at least two stages are dotted around the place.

Lanterns and fairy lights glow everywhere, the smell of wine and expensive perfume pungent in the warm night air.

Men and women are dancing everywhere. Laughter echoes the landscape, but the shrill laughter of one female in particular has shivers running down the length of my spine.

"Daisey?" her high pitch squeaky voice has me almost gagging.

"Yes?" I snap, turning to face her and another girl- who I don't even acknowledge.

"Wwwhat are you doing here?" she stutters and stammers around the question. Clearly Ashton didn't tell her I was attending.

"Ashton invited me" I simply state, downing the rest of my drink. I'll definitely be needing more to get through this night.

Lori's mouth gapes slightly.

"Wait, my Ashton invited you?"

I cringe at her referral to Ashton being 'hers'.

I nod slightly, before turning and walking away. Silly girl, if only she knew what Ashton was like around me- and how he probably is with loads of other girls.

I ignore the various people that pass me, all with their jaws touching their toes.

I'm used to being stared at like some freak.