Chapter 11

The warm night air felt awful against my sweat riddled skin. I had spent a gruelling 5 hours working in the diner with a horrendous hangover, and to top it all off I have to go straight from work to class.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Making my way through the masses and masses of students, I finally reach the end of the corridor. Turning to my left, I notice two huge double doors reading ' Design Technology.'

Oh god, I probably stink like grease and fat. I didn't have any time to get a shower, plus I'm still wearing Kate's black shirt and black ripped skinny jeans.

However, taking a deep breathe I push the doors open.

The room is huge. It's more of a hall than a room really. In each corner there are sewing machines, with around 2 people lazily sewing different material. In the middle of the room sits 4 girls, each stitching various clothing pieces.

To the left of the hall stands a woman dressed in a lovely knee height dress. She's posing on what looks to be a runway, a group of male and females watching her intently while she walks up and down.

To the right of the hall, there are sketches spread across the length of the room. Some girls are relentlessly drawing images onto the pieces of paper, while others stand and observe.

Altogether I'm completely dumb struck. I've never seen anything like it!

It's only now that I realise that I am just standing in the middle of the room, probably looking like a complete lemon.

Shifting on my feet, I nervously search the room for anyone that resembles the look of a teacher.

Deciding my best option is to ask someone, I near closer to a young girl wearing glasses- who is carefully sketching a drawing onto the paper.

"Excuse me?"

The girl looks up to me immediately. Staring at me for a while, she gently puts her pencil down, and straightens herself out.

"Err..hi...can I help you?" She asks, looking me up and down.

YES I KNOW I LOOK HORRIBLE.

"Yes, is there a teacher or anyone I can speak too...I'm new." I stutter, realising just how nervous I actually am.

She giggles a little, before holding her hand out in front of me-

"Hi I'm Taylor, and you see that woman over there? She's our teacher, Mrs. McKinney"

Taylor points in the direction of an older woman, who seems to be standing observing the girl on the runway.

"Oh, I'm Daisey- and thank you"

I turn towards the woman, and silently dip between the clumps of people.

"Excuse me?" I ask again, tapping the woman on the shoulder.

She jumps in surprise before turning to face me.

"Hello, can I help you?" She asks in a light Scottish accent.

"Yes, my names Daisey o'donell and I'm new, I've just come from England and this is my first time here" I reply, nervously twirling my hair around my finger.

She nods, before waving something at a girl behind me.

"Ah, daisey. Aye, I remember now. Welcome to Design Technology here at UCLA, it's the best in the region!"

I smile at her enthusiasm, but the sudden realisation that I'm probably going to be super shit at this kicks in.

"So, to get started I need to assess just how good you are at designing!"