Chapter 45

It's like a flashback to 4 months ago, when both the boys had a couple of swings at each other. However this time there is no denying who is winning, Ashton has his big palms wrapped tightly around Jakes neck- while Jake writhes and wriggles underneath him desperate for oxygen.

I yell Ashton's name from the other side of the kitchen, begging him to stop.

Others have started to flood into the kitchen after hearing mine and Loraine's screams. But nobody can do anything, Ashton's too far gone to think rationally anymore.

I run over and grab him, pulling hard on his big broad shoulders. His eyes are detached from the world as he squeezes his brothers throat harder and harder...

There's nothing I can do, I scream in his face- tears rolling uncontrollably down my cheeks. He's going to kill him.

That's when the 3 other boys who Jake was standing with barge through the door, each gabbing one of Ashton's limbs and hauling him violently off of Jake.

Jake chokes and gasps for air, Elizabeth and Lorraine running quickly to his aid. While Ashton slowly stands and watches his caring mother silently cry as she tends to his half dead brother.

He then turns to me momentarily, his eyes now more alert and guilty. I take a cautious step backwards, truly afraid of him and his behaviour right now. I've never seen him like this, so angry and violent. He visibly winces at my retreat from him, clearly ashamed of his actions.

"Get out of here." Lorraine shouts, pointing one shaky finger at Ashton. He keeps his sorrow filled eyes locked on mine, as he holds his palms out towards me desperately. Normally I would be more than happy to run into them, but something stops me from doing just that. Instead, I look to the ground- breaking our eye contact and back slowly away.

"Ashton get out!" Lorraine snaps from behind his defeated body. She's squatted next to a half unconscious Jake and a hysterical Elizabeth who is cupping Jake's face in her tear stained hands.

"And will somebody call an ambulance?!" she yells, looking expectantly at me.

My eyes accidentally lock with Ashton's heavy greens as I fumble in my pocket, before removing my mobile and calling 911.

"Daisey..." he starts pleadingly, taking one long stride towards me. I hold my hand up quickly in front of me, placing the phone to my ear before looking back at the crumpled mess that is Jake. I can't believe Ashton did that to his own brother, his own flesh and blood?

Just before Ashton can say anything else, Lorraine screams once more for him to get out. Which he does so silently, pushing through the sea of curious relatives which have clustered at the kitchen doorway.

~~~~~~~~

The medics arrive, and to Elizabeth's relief Jake is completely fine.

"Just get him some cold water and have him rest for a few days- he'll be fine. Maybe have someone cool him down now and then with a wet towel, it'll make him feel much more comfortable. Apart from that, he sustained a mild concussion nothing that's too serious- and his vitals are fine."

The chubby medic pats Jake's back lightly as he begins packing his instruments away, taking a quick swig of the ice tea I made him- he nods once at Elizabeth and exits the kitchen the same way he entered an hour ago.

Jake is slumped on one of the bar stools with a purple blanket covering his shoulders. Nothing more than a bruise on his cheek and a few scratches on his face from the rather violent fight which took place not so long ago.

"Come on Jake, let's get you in bed. Daisey grab his drink for him will you?" Elizabeth asks soothingly, as she helps Jake stand. I throw her a smile before retrieving Jakes ice cold water, and following them up the winding staircase.