17

My broken body lay in bed, watching the snow fall outside the window

My broken body lay in bed, watching the snow fall outside the window. My face stained with dry tears, my breathing hitched. The video I saw kept replaying in my foggy mind, hearing the truth hit me like a burning knife. I placed my hand on my chest as if there was a physical wound, my heart aching. I let out a sigh as the door behind me opened, low footsteps coming closer to me. My hollow gaze set on abel, a plate in his hand.

He sat gently below my feet, placing the hot lasagna onto the side table.

"How are you feeling miss?" He asked, his voice quiet.

"How do you think." I scowled, burying my face into the pillow.

"It's true. He really did call off the deal, I've seen the way he looks at you. I'm sorry you had to find out like that." He sighed, his head falling low.

I glanced over at him, his eyes glossy as he stared at the marble floor.

"Why do you care so much?" I questioned, my brow raising.

"Before he found you again he was miserable, he'd always be out fighting. Gambling his money, losing himself. But now he has something to fight for, someone to live for." He hummed, smiling softly.

"It doesn't change what he did." I sniffled, feeling tears forming again.

Abel nodded, pointing over to the food he'd brought up.

"Eat something. And when you're ready, he'll be waiting." He whispered, standing up.

I huffed lowly as I sat up, bringing the plate onto my lap. My stomach growled in response, the savoury smell running up my nose. I watched as Abel walked away, picking up the knife and fork he'd left for me.

I cut into the steaming lasagna, placing it onto my dry tongue.

————————-
I tiptoed down the steps, my heart racing with each passing moment. Bill sat in the lounge, an empty glass of whiskey in his hand. His eyes sat low, his dreads tied back. My feet hit the cold marble floor, making my way over to the couch.

I sat next to him, his dark eyes turning to me.

"I should've told you." He whispered.

"Why didn't you?" I croaked, tucking my hair behind my ear.

"I-I didn't want to lose you. I thought I could just keep it a secret, that way I wouldn't hurt you." He admitted, placing down his empty glass.

I let out a deep sigh, picking at my chipped nails.

"I need you to know that I love you, more than anything." He continued, his eyelashes fluttering.

"I don't know if I can forgive you" I sobbed, cupping my face.

I felt his arm slither around me, my body automatically collapsing into his. A low cry left my lips, my mind scattered. It hurts more because I thought I knew him, but I didn't realise how much people can change. Yet my heart still aches for him, my body still yearns for his touch. I don't think that will ever change, I love him. I always have.

"I'm so sorry" he croaked, nuzzling his head into my hair gently.

My eyes shot up as the front door opened, Tom and two kids walking into the house.

"What are you doing here?" Bill growled, wiping his eyes.

"The kids wanted to see you, plus Bella decided to dump them on me for the day" Tom hummed, closing the door with a soft click.

I quickly wiped away my tears, sitting up straight as the two kids walked into the lounge. They both wore woolly hats, their cheeks red from the coldness.

"Hi uncle bill" the little girl smiled, running up to him.

He hugged her tightly, Tom sitting down next to me.

"Is this your girlfriend" the little girl asked, pointing at me.

"Ana. It's rude to point" Tom tutted, rubbing his forehead.

My eyes fell low, the snow outside settling on the ground.

"Do you want to make some snowmen?" I asked the children, tilting my head.

"You don't have to do that." Bill whispered, rubbing my arm.

"I want to." I hummed.

"Yes!" Ana yelled, clapping her hands.

I nodded as I got up, heading over to the coat rack. I put on Bill's fluffy coat, it falling just above my ankles. The kids stood by the door patiently as I put on some boots and gloves.

"Come on, come on!" The little boy yelled, jumping up and down.

I chuckled as I lastly put on a hat, opening the front door for them. They both ran into the snow, it crunching under my boots.

"What's your name?" I asked the small boy, kneeling down.

"Miles" he shrieked, picking up a ball of snow.

I nodded as he threw the snowball at the window, a small laugh leaving my cold lips.

"Let's roll some snowballs then!" I hummed, beginning to gather the snow in my hands.

Ana and miles helped me, our first ball almost being done. I've never wanted kids myself but I still love them, they all deserve love. I patted down the second snowball, placing it on top of the bottom one as Ana began rolling his head.

I rushed over to help her, a giggle leaving her lips as both bill and Tom stepped outside.

"Now we need six rocks, two for his eyes and?" I hummed, looking at them both.

"Four for his mouth!" Ana yelled, running to find some rocks.

Miles ran after her, the snow behind me crunching as bill and Tom approached.

"Go help them" Tom grinned to bill, his eyes rolling as he jogged over to them.

"I've never heard him yap about someone so much." Tom whispered.

I raised my brows in confusion, turning to face him.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"You. He really does love you. In fact I'm happy he chose you." He smiled, his hands in his pockets.

"why." I sighed.

"Because I know that you're a good person, just what he needs." Tom praised, nudging my arm.

"It doesn't excuse his actions" I groaned, looking up at the sky.

"I know." Tom huffed.

I closed my eyes as snow fell onto my face, my cheeks turning red..