Born with Death

Chapter Seventy-One~ Born With Death

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Vissera flew to meet Brandon on the road from Storms end.
Her heart battering inside her chest for a means to escape.

It thudded faster than the rain that pounded into her skin, drumming like a monody to remind her what she was about to face.

Storms End.

A most fitting name for a most horrid place.

Only this place seemed to be where many a storm began too.

The dance of Dragons was said to of began here with her father and her cousin Lucerys.

The storm that brewed in her heart now also began in this place, for little boy had died here too.

Perhaps Targaryens and Baratheons were not supposed to fair well in the company each other.

At least not with her blood anyway.

Her mother was also rumored to have killed one of Borros Baratheons daughters during a tourney event in kingslanding.

She knew from her mother's diary that the princess did not care for the house, despite hating the lannisters more.

There was something about the blood of the stag that set her nerve on edge.

Strange considering their blood was ridiculously close, even from the beginning of the conquest.

House Baratheon was born from house Targaryen, yet something in the stars whispered rotten things about the fruit yet to fall from the tree.

That should have been sign enough for her to have kept Rhaegar away from the place she was sure she hated.

But the stupid naive part of her heart, that she hated as much as anything else in the world had believed that perhaps life was not always riddled with evil dangerous obstacles and that there was not always a threat lurking in the dark with a hammer ready to nail a twisted fate into the fire.

She landed on the Kingsroad, Axus a few paces away from her as she sat under a tree.
She picked at her nails, letting the air sting at the cuts as she waited.

A horse approached then, announcing its self when it came to a stop.

Vissera stood up quickly, sucking in a sharp breath. Her knees wobbled a bit when she saw the carriage Brandon pulled.

She knew he was in there, her little boy.

Brandon climbed from the horse quickly, but he didn't run to her.

Nor did Vissera run to him.

They stood meters apart with their hearts suffocatingly close.

His heart ached, and a void even she could not fill was left behind, instead guilt and shame seeped into the gap, poisoning him with turmoil that screamed blame on him.

"I'm sorry." He said.

"What for?" She whispered back.

He surged forward then, holding her seeming the only objective he lived for in that moment.

"I am so sorry." He breathed into her hair once she was in his arms. "I'm sorry."

He sounded like a little boy who'd just had his heart broken by a sorrow he should not have known.

And she sounded like a little girl sobbing with grief she should not have to understand.

She breathed repeated sobs into his chest, her knuckles turning white as she held onto him, her soul desperate to find her son in the afterlife.