Chapter 19

Adrienne

As the night deepened, the stars twinkled overhead, casting a soft glow on the rooftop bar. Laughter and chatter buzzed around us, but I could sense something heavier weighing on Colin. His smile felt distant, and his laughter was tinged with an underlying sadness that made my heart ache.

I had been sharing a story about my childhood when I caught a glimpse of him lost in thought, his gaze turned away from me, focused on the horizon. The sunset had faded, but the colors of the city were still alive, pulsing with energy. I continued speaking, but my words faded into the background as I became more aware of the tension in his demeanor.

Then I saw it-a glimmer of something in his eyes, and suddenly, a tear slipped down his cheek. My breath caught in my throat as I instinctively reached for his hand, my heart racing. "Colin," I said softly, concern lacing my voice.

He looked at me, his expression shifting from surprise to vulnerability. "I-" he began, but the words caught in his throat.

"Hey," I urged gently, squeezing his hand. "You don't have to hide from me. What's going on?"

He hesitated, and for a moment, I feared he might pull away, but instead, he took a deep breath. "It's just... sometimes it all gets to me," he admitted, his voice barely above a whisper. "I didn't mean to get emotional."

"Colin, it's okay to feel," I reassured him, my heart aching at the sight of his vulnerability. "You can talk to me about anything."

His eyes searched mine, and I could see the battle within him-the fear of opening up, the pain of his past. "It's just... there are things I haven't dealt with," he confessed, looking down at our intertwined hands. "Things from when I was a kid."

My heart sank as I realized how deeply his past had affected him. "You can share whatever you feel comfortable with," I said softly, urging him to open up.

He looked up, and in that moment, I saw a flicker of determination behind his sorrowful eyes. "When I was six, my parents had a pretty rough divorce," he started, his voice trembling. "It was... messy. I remember it felt like my whole world was falling apart. I thought they loved each other, and then suddenly, everything changed."

I listened intently, leaning closer as he shared his story, feeling the weight of his words. "I tried to hold it together, but I could see my mom breaking. I thought if I stayed quiet and didn't cause any trouble, it might help her." His voice faltered, and I could see the pain etched across his face. "But it didn't. Nothing I did made it better."

As he spoke, I felt the tears welling up in my own eyes. "Colin," I whispered, my heart breaking for him. "I'm so sorry you had to go through that."

He shook his head, a faint smile breaking through his sorrow. "It's in the past, but it's shaped who I am today. I guess I just don't want to let anyone in too close again."

The weight of his confession hung in the air, and I realized just how much this moment meant. "You don't have to be alone anymore," I said softly, leaning closer. "I'm here, and I care about you."

He looked at me, his eyes searching mine for sincerity. "I know, but it's hard for me to open up," he admitted, vulnerability still lingering in his voice.

"It's okay," I reassured him. "Take your time. I'm not going anywhere. Just know that whatever you need to share, I'm here to listen."

As the city lights flickered around us, I saw the conflict in his eyes begin to ease. For the first time, it felt like he was letting me in, even if just a little.

He took a deep breath, steadying himself. "Thank you for being patient with me," he said, a hint of gratitude breaking through the heaviness. "I want to be able to share more, but it's... terrifying."