Chapter 28

Colin
Flashback

It was a warm summer afternoon, and the sunlight poured through the open windows of my tiny apartment. The faint sound of laughter floated up from the street below, a reminder that the world outside was alive and vibrant. Emily was sprawled across my couch, her hair cascading over the back in loose waves, a mischievous grin lighting up her face as she recounted a story from her day.

"I swear, Colin, if I didn't know any better, I'd think she was flirting with me!" Emily laughed, her blue eyes sparkling with delight.

I chuckled, leaning back in my chair, watching her with admiration. "You have that effect on people, you know. You're just irresistible."

She tossed a throw pillow at me playfully. "Stop it! You're making me blush."

But beneath the lighthearted banter, I felt a sense of unease. Our relationship was passionate and fun, but there were moments-like now-when I sensed a deeper connection forming. I wasn't ready for that kind of commitment, but I couldn't help wanting more from her.

That evening, we decided to take a walk along the river, the sun setting in a spectacular display of oranges and pinks. Hand in hand, we strolled along the water's edge, the cool breeze carrying the scent of summer blooms.

"Do you ever think about the future?" Emily asked, her tone suddenly serious as she stopped to gaze at the horizon.

I hesitated, unsure how to respond. "What do you mean?"

"Like, where we'll be in a few years. What we'll be doing," she said, biting her lip, her eyes searching mine.

"Honestly? I haven't thought that far ahead," I admitted, trying to sound casual. "I'm just focused on us right now."

She frowned slightly, and I felt a pang of regret. I knew she was hoping for something more. "I just feel like we have something special," she said quietly. "I don't want to waste it."

I pulled her closer, wanting to comfort her but feeling the pressure of the moment. "We have plenty of time, Em. Let's just enjoy what we have."

As the weeks passed, our connection deepened, yet I still resisted the urge to fully commit. Emily was incredible-funny, beautiful, and adventurous-but my fear of losing my freedom loomed over me like a dark cloud.

One night, as we sat on my balcony watching the stars, she turned to me, her expression serious. "Colin, what are we doing? I need to know if this is leading anywhere."

I felt my heart race, panic flooding my senses. "I don't know, Emily. I like what we have, but I'm not ready for anything serious."

Her face fell, and I could see the hurt in her eyes. "So you don't see a future for us?"

"Not right now," I said, trying to soften the blow. "Can't we just take it one day at a time?"

She looked away, hurt flashing across her face. "I thought you were different. I thought you could see us building something together."

"We can still enjoy each other without putting a label on it," I insisted, desperate to salvage the moment. But deep down, I felt the shift between us-a crack forming in our connection.

As the days turned into weeks, Emily became distant. I tried to reach out, to bring back the lightheartedness we once had, but the tension between us was palpable. The moment of clarity I had feared was now reality, and I felt powerless to stop it.

The last time I saw her was during a rainy evening. We had argued over dinner, her eyes filled with tears as she confronted me about my reluctance to commit. I had stormed out, frustration boiling inside me. When I finally returned to my apartment, I found her packing her bags.

"Emily, wait! Let's talk," I pleaded, my heart sinking.

"I can't do this anymore, Colin. You're not ready for what I want, and I deserve more," she said, her voice steady despite the emotion in her eyes.

I felt like the ground had fallen out from beneath me. "Please, don't go. We can work through this."

But she shook her head, tears streaming down her cheeks. "I need someone who's all in. I can't keep hoping for a future that isn't there."

And with that, she walked out the door, leaving me alone in the silence of my apartment, the echoes of my choices haunting me.

---

The flashback faded, and I opened my eyes, the bakery bustling around me. I felt the weight of those memories more than ever. Emily was back in my life, and now everything was different. I couldn't change the past, but I had to face the future-whatever that meant for Adrienne, for me, and for the life that might come into the world because of my choices.