Chapter 24

Colin

I woke up to the soft glow of morning light filtering through the window, casting a warm hue across the room. For a moment, I couldn't quite place where I was. The faint sound of traffic from the street below reminded me I was in New York, but the cozy ambiance felt strangely intimate.

As I turned slightly, I noticed that I was on the couch in Adrienne's living room. Memories of the night before rushed back-laughing with her and Sara, the exhilaration of the club, and the comforting warmth of Adrienne nestled against me while we watched that terrible movie. I could still feel her warmth lingering on my skin, a reminder of how close we'd been.

I sat up slowly, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. The morning was quiet, the world outside gradually waking up. I glanced around the room, taking in the soft decorations, the remnants of last night's snacks on the coffee table, and the cozy blanket we had shared.

I chuckled softly, recalling the way Adrienne's laughter lit up the room, how effortlessly she drew me in with her smile. It was still hard to believe how much I enjoyed her company. My mind drifted back to the moment I had decided to stay over; I didn't want to leave her just yet.

Feeling a bit disoriented but happy, I stretched, letting my muscles awaken. I could hear the faint sounds of movement from the bedroom. Adrienne and Sara were probably still asleep, though the sound of water running from the bathroom suggested Adrienne was getting ready for the day.

Deciding I should make myself useful, I rose from the couch and quietly made my way to the kitchen. I figured a couple of cups of coffee would be a good way to start the morning. I opened the cabinets, finding the coffee maker tucked away in the corner. I could almost imagine Adrienne's playful smirk when she'd see me taking the initiative.

As the coffee brewed, I thought back to the events of the previous night. I still couldn't shake the feeling of protectiveness that surged through me when that guy had touched her. It had ignited a fire inside me, a need to ensure Adrienne felt safe and valued. The last thing I wanted was for her to feel uncomfortable or unsafe, especially in a city as chaotic as this.

The aroma of fresh coffee filled the kitchen, and I poured two steaming mugs, adding just the right amount of cream to each. Just as I finished, I heard footsteps behind me.

"Good morning, Chef Colin!" Adrienne's cheerful voice cut through the quiet. She appeared, still in her pajamas, her hair tousled and a sleepy smile on her face.

"Morning! I thought I'd treat you to coffee," I replied, holding out a mug toward her.

She accepted it gratefully, and our fingers brushed against each other. A spark shot through me, and I couldn't help but smile back at her. "Thanks, I really needed this," she said, taking a sip.

"You're welcome. How did you sleep?" I asked, trying to keep the conversation light.

"Better than I expected, actually. I guess I really needed a night out," she replied, her eyes brightening. "Last night was so much fun, despite the weirdness with that guy."

"Yeah, I'm glad we handled that," I said, feeling a twinge of protectiveness again. "I didn't want it to ruin your night."

"It didn't. You made it unforgettable," she said, her gaze steady on mine. I felt my heart race at her words.

"Just doing what any friend would do," I replied, trying to play it cool, but I knew there was something deeper growing between us.

We chatted as we sipped our coffee, the comfortable atmosphere wrapping around us like a warm blanket. Adrienne's laughter was infectious, and I found myself captivated by the way her eyes sparkled when she talked about her plans for the day.