Chapter 12

Colin

The morning light streamed through my apartment window as I got ready for work, the soft glow giving me a moment of clarity before the chaos of the day began. I slipped on my crisp white shirt, adjusting the collar and buttoning it up just right. The black leather jacket I wore had become my signature piece, the one that made me feel confident and ready to take on the world. But today was different; my thoughts kept drifting back to Adrienne.

Our last date had been magical—her laughter still echoed in my mind, and I could still feel the warmth of her lips against mine. I had never felt this way about anyone before, and the idea of seeing her later kept me energized. I couldn't wait to share more moments with her.

As I made my way to the bakery, the familiar sights and sounds of New York City surrounded me: the distant honking of taxis, the chatter of pedestrians, and the intoxicating aroma of fresh bread wafting through the streets. Stepping inside the bakery, I was greeted by the comforting buzz of my coworkers and the warmth of the ovens.

"Morning, Colin!" my coworker, Jess, called out as she sorted through pastries.

"Hey, Jess! Ready for another busy day?" I replied, pulling on my apron.

"Always! Especially with the new pumpkin spice muffins coming in today," she said, her eyes sparkling with excitement.

As the day progressed, I settled into the rhythm of work. The bakery was bustling with customers eager for their morning coffee and pastries, and I took pride in the way we all worked together to keep things running smoothly. But even amidst the flour and frosting, my mind was often on Adrienne. I thought about the plans we made for later and how I wanted to surprise her with something special.

Around midday, a moment of quiet settled over the bakery as the lunch rush subsided. I grabbed a quick break and stepped outside for some fresh air. As I leaned against the cool brick wall, my phone buzzed in my pocket. It was a text from her.

Adrienne: Can't wait for tonight! What's the plan?

A smile spread across my face as I replied.

Me: I have something fun in mind. Just be ready for adventure!

I returned inside, my spirits lifted. The thought of her waiting for me later made the tasks ahead feel less tedious. I prepared a batch of muffins, pouring my energy into the task, hoping to channel some of my feelings into the treats. Each scoop of batter was infused with the anticipation of seeing her.

As the day wore on, I overheard a couple of regulars talking about their plans for the weekend. Their laughter reminded me of Adrienne and how easy it was to be around her. I missed her playful spirit, the way she could light up any room, and I couldn't help but look forward to our next kiss.

Later in the afternoon, while cleaning up after the last rush, Jess approached me with a teasing grin. "You've been a little distracted today, haven't you? Someone has a crush!"

I chuckled, slightly embarrassed but unable to deny the truth in her words. "Maybe I do. Her name is Adrienne, and she's amazing."

"Is this the girl you kissed?" she asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah, and it was incredible," I admitted, warmth flooding my cheeks. "I just hope I don't mess this up."

Jess smiled knowingly. "Just be yourself, Colin. That's what she likes about you, right?"

As the day came to a close, I felt a sense of relief mixed with excitement. I wrapped up my duties, tidied the display cases, and counted the registers, all while thinking about how Adrienne would react to my surprise later.

When the clock finally struck closing time, I rushed home to prepare. I decided to cook dinner for her—something simple yet delicious. I scoured my fridge for ingredients and settled on pasta with a homemade sauce. It was the least I could do to show her how much I cared.

As I stirred the sauce, thoughts of our last date filled my mind. I remembered how she had looked at me, how her eyes danced with excitement as we talked. It made my heart race, and I wanted to create another unforgettable evening.

With dinner ready, I set the table, adding candles for ambiance. The flickering light cast a warm glow, creating a cozy atmosphere. As I waited for her to arrive, nerves tingled in my stomach. I wanted everything to be perfect.

When I heard the knock at the door, my heart raced. I opened it to find Adrienne standing there, a radiant smile lighting up her face. "Hey! Wow, it smells amazing in here!"

"Thanks! I hope you're hungry," I replied, stepping aside to let her in.

"Starving! What did you make?" she asked, glancing at the table adorned with candles.

"Pasta with homemade sauce," I said, trying to sound casual but secretly thrilled at her reaction.

"Colin, this is so sweet!" she exclaimed, her eyes sparkling as she took a seat.

As we shared the meal, our conversation flowed effortlessly, each bite punctuated by laughter and teasing. I felt grateful for every moment spent with her, the intimacy building between us with every shared glance and smile.

After dinner, we moved to the couch, and I poured us each a glass of wine. As we clinked our glasses together, I felt a rush of warmth and connection that I hadn't experienced in a long time.

"Tonight has been perfect," she said, leaning back against the couch, her gaze fixed on me.

"I'm glad you're here," I replied, feeling bold. I shifted closer, searching her eyes for permission.

Her smile grew wider as she leaned in, and before I knew it, I was kissing her again. This kiss was deeper, filled with everything we hadn't yet said. My hands found their way to her waist, pulling her closer, and I felt the spark between us ignite once more.

As we finally pulled apart, breathless and smiling, I realized that this connection was something worth nurturing. Today at work may have been ordinary, but it led to a night that felt anything but. With Adrienne by my side, I was ready to embrace whatever came next.