Chapter 30

Adrienne
1 year later...

A year had passed since that fateful day at the bakery when Colin and I first crossed paths, and the change in my life was almost surreal. The vibrant energy of New York City still pulsed around me, but now it felt different-more alive, infused with possibilities I had never imagined. I woke up to sunlight spilling through my bedroom window, the warm rays dancing on the walls like a gentle reminder of the new beginnings I had embraced.

I rolled out of bed, stretching and smiling as I thought about the plans I had for the day. Colin and I had built something beautiful together over the past year. Our relationship had evolved from playful flirtation to something deeper, a partnership rooted in trust and understanding. I still remembered those early days of uncertainty, the nervousness, and excitement of navigating our feelings for each other.

Today was special-it was our anniversary, and I wanted to make it memorable. I headed to the bathroom, ready to get ready for the day. As I brushed my teeth, I glanced in the mirror, taking a moment to appreciate the woman I had become. I had grown more confident, more assured of myself. I felt like I had finally stepped into my own skin.

After a quick shower, I chose a simple yet stunning outfit: a fitted black dress that hugged my curves and showed off just the right amount of skin, paired with my favorite ankle boots. I wanted to look good for Colin, to remind him how far we had come together. As I styled my hair and applied a touch of makeup, excitement bubbled within me.

"Alright, Adrienne, you got this," I whispered to myself, feeling the adrenaline rush through my veins.

Once I was satisfied with my look, I headed to the bakery where Colin worked. The familiar scent of freshly baked goods welcomed me as I stepped inside. The bakery was buzzing with customers, and I spotted Colin behind the counter, focused on icing a batch of cupcakes. He looked up and smiled when he saw me, his eyes lighting up like they always did.

"Hey, beautiful! You look amazing!" he exclaimed, wiping his hands on his apron and making his way over to me.

"Thanks! I wanted to surprise you," I said, my heart fluttering at the sight of him. He was wearing a fitted T-shirt that accentuated his toned physique, and I couldn't help but admire how handsome he looked.

"You definitely succeeded," he said, pulling me into a warm embrace. I inhaled his comforting scent, feeling a sense of home wash over me.

"I was hoping we could have a little adventure today," I suggested, pulling back to meet his gaze. "Something special to celebrate our anniversary."

Colin's eyes sparkled with intrigue. "I'm all in. What do you have in mind?"

I took a deep breath, my excitement bubbling over. "How about a day trip to the beach? We can pack a picnic and spend the day soaking up the sun!"

His smile widened, and I could see the joy in his eyes. "That sounds perfect. Let me finish up here, and we'll get everything ready."

I watched him return to his work, my heart swelling with gratitude. Over the past year, we had navigated challenges together, from my struggles with school to his past with Emily. But through it all, we had grown closer, our bond becoming stronger as we faced life side by side.

As the bakery began to wind down, Colin and I worked together to pack a picnic basket filled with our favorite snacks, a bottle of wine, and a blanket. I felt a sense of anticipation as we set off toward the beach, the sun shining bright overhead and the warmth enveloping us.

The sound of crashing waves welcomed us as we arrived, and I could already feel the stress of the past year melting away. We found a perfect spot, spreading out the blanket and settling in. Colin poured us each a glass of wine, and we toasted to our journey together.