Chapter 36

Just as the laughter echoed through the kitchen, a sudden, firm knock sounded at the door, cutting through the joyous atmosphere. Adrienne's heart sank. She exchanged worried glances with her friends.

"Who could that be?" Mia asked, pausing mid-laugh.

"I hope it's not Gavin," Adrienne muttered, a knot forming in her stomach. "He better not ruin our breakfast."

Colin, sensing her anxiety, walked toward the door. "I'll check," he said, his voice calm but firm. He opened the door slowly, revealing Gavin standing on the threshold, his demeanor a mix of confidence and uncertainty.

"Gavin," Colin said, his tone steely. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to talk to Adrienne," Gavin replied, looking past Colin to catch a glimpse of her. His eyes met Adrienne's, and she felt a wave of unease wash over her.

"Adrienne doesn't want to talk to you," Colin said bluntly, stepping slightly in front of Gavin to block him from entering.

"Come on, Colin," Gavin insisted, raising his hands in a placating gesture. "Just a minute. I need to explain-"

"Explain what?" Adrienne interjected, her voice steady despite the flutter of anxiety in her chest. "What could you possibly say that would make this okay?"

Gavin hesitated, glancing back at her with an almost pleading expression. "I just want to apologize. Can we talk privately?"

"No," Colin said, shaking his head. "You're not coming in here. You've made your choices, Gavin."

Adrienne felt a mix of anger and disappointment as she listened to Gavin's half-hearted attempts at justification. "Why now?" she asked, crossing her arms. "Why do you think you can just show up after everything that happened?"

Gavin shifted uncomfortably, running a hand through his hair. "I realized I messed up. I was stupid. I shouldn't have treated you like that. Can we at least talk about it?"

Mia stepped closer, her protective instincts kicking in. "You don't get to just waltz in here and expect forgiveness, Gavin. You hurt her."

Jenna nodded, her eyes narrowing. "You have no right to be here."

Adrienne took a deep breath, trying to steady herself. "I appreciate you coming here to talk, but I don't think it's a good idea. I've moved on."

Gavin looked taken aback, clearly not expecting her response. "Moved on? You're with him now?" He gestured toward Colin, who stood tall and unwavering beside her.

"Yes, I am," Adrienne affirmed, her voice firm. "Colin treats me with respect, something you never did. I don't need you in my life anymore."

Gavin's expression darkened, and for a brief moment, Adrienne felt a flicker of fear. "You'll regret this, Adrienne," he said, his voice low. "You can't just erase the past."

Colin stepped closer, an imposing presence. "You need to leave. Now."

"Fine," Gavin said, his voice a mix of anger and defeat. "But don't say I didn't warn you."

With that, he turned to leave, but Adrienne felt a surge of defiance. Before he could fully step away, she moved closer to Colin, grabbing the front of his shirt and pulling him down to her level.

"Actually," she called out, her voice steady, "I want you to see something."

With that, she kissed Colin deeply, pouring all her feelings into the kiss. It was a passionate, fearless display of her choice-her love for Colin and her rejection of the past.