Chapter 34

After parking the car in the underground garage, Adrienne and Colin took the elevator up to their penthouse. As they stepped inside, the familiar scent of their home enveloped them-a mix of fresh linen and the faint aroma of the candles they often lit.

"Home sweet home," Colin said, a hint of relief in his voice. He tossed his bag onto the nearby chair and kicked off his shoes, leaving them by the door.

Adrienne followed suit, shaking off the tension from the evening. She moved to the living room, letting out a content sigh as she sank onto the plush couch. "I've missed this place," she said, looking around at the cozy decor they'd chosen together.

Colin joined her, sitting close enough that their thighs touched. "Me too. It feels good to be back. I don't know how long I could have handled my parents' judgment."

Adrienne nodded in agreement. "It was intense. But I'm really proud of how you handled it. You stood up for us."

"Thanks," Colin replied, a soft smile crossing his face. "I just want to make it clear that you and I are in this together. Always."

She reached for his hand, intertwining their fingers. "Always."

"Do you want to watch a movie or just relax?" Colin asked, leaning back against the couch.

"Let's watch something lighthearted," Adrienne suggested. "We could use a good laugh after all that drama."

Colin grinned, pulling out the remote. "Perfect choice." He flipped through the options before settling on a comedy that had them both laughing within minutes.

As they watched, Adrienne felt the earlier stress begin to melt away. They snuggled close on the couch, exchanging playful jabs about the characters and cracking up at the ridiculous situations on screen.

Halfway through the movie, Adrienne turned to Colin, her heart swelling with affection. "You know, no matter what happens with your parents, I'm so glad I have you."

Colin paused the movie, turning to face her. "And I'm glad I have you, Adrienne. I wouldn't want to do this with anyone else."

She smiled, feeling warmth radiate between them. In that moment, the world outside faded away, leaving just the two of them-stronger together, ready to face whatever came next.

As the movie resumed, Adrienne leaned her head against Colin's shoulder, comforted by his presence. They might have challenges ahead, but here, in their little sanctuary, everything felt right.

As the movie played in the background, Adrienne turned her head to look at Colin, a playful glint in her eyes. "You know what we should do? Let's ask each other some fun questions."

Colin raised an eyebrow, intrigued. "Alright, I'm in. You start."

"Okay," she said, tapping her chin in thought. "What's your favorite color?"

"Easy! Blue," he replied without hesitation. "It's calming, just like the ocean. What about you?"

"Purple," she said, a grin spreading across her face. "It's so vibrant and full of life, just like me!"

He chuckled, nudging her playfully. "I like that confidence. Alright, next question. What's your favorite song?"

"Hmm... that's tough! But I'd say 'Shake It Off' by Taylor Swift. It always gets me dancing," she replied, bouncing a little in her seat. "What about you?"

Colin thought for a moment. "I think I'd have to go with 'Bohemian Rhapsody' by Queen. It's just a classic and so much fun to sing along to."

"I can definitely see you belting that one out," Adrienne teased. "Okay, movie time! What's your favorite movie?"

"Definitely 'The Shawshank Redemption.' It's such an incredible story about hope and friendship," he answered, his eyes lighting up at the thought.

"I love that movie! But I think mine has to be '10 Things I Hate About You.' It's a classic rom-com that always makes me smile," she said, her excitement palpable.

Colin laughed. "Romantic at heart, huh? I should have known."

"Guilty as charged!" she replied, leaning closer to him. "Okay, what about food? What's your go-to dish?"

"Pizza," he said with a smirk. "I could eat it every day and never get tired of it. How about you?"

"Pasta! Especially with a creamy Alfredo sauce. So good," Adrienne said, her mouth watering at the thought.

"Now I'm hungry," Colin said, pretending to pout. "We might have to order some later."

"Definitely! It'll be our little treat after all the craziness today," she said, feeling a sense of normalcy return to their evening.

"Agreed. Last one: what's something you've always wanted to do but haven't yet?" Colin asked, genuinely curious.

Adrienne thought for a moment. "I'd love to travel to Europe. Explore the cities, experience different cultures, and of course, eat all the food!"

"Sounds amazing. We should make that happen together someday," he said, giving her hand a gentle squeeze.

"I'd love that," she replied, her heart racing at the thought of future adventures together. "Alright, your turn! Ask me anything."

As they continued their lighthearted exchange, laughter filled the room, creating a bubble of warmth that reminded them both of how lucky they were to have found each other.

As they settled back into the comfortable rhythm of their conversation, Colin leaned in a little closer, a curious look on his face. "Okay, I've got a question for you about your childhood."

Adrienne raised an eyebrow, intrigued. "Ooh, I like this. What do you want to know?"

"What's your favorite childhood memory?" he asked, his voice softening. "Something that really stands out to you."

Adrienne's expression turned thoughtful as she reminisced. "Hmm, there are so many, but I think one of my favorites has to be when my parents took me to the beach for the first time. I remember running toward the waves, feeling the sand between my toes, and just being completely free. I built the biggest sandcastle and decorated it with seashells. I felt like I was creating my own little kingdom!"

Colin smiled, picturing young Adrienne, full of joy and creativity. "That sounds magical. Did it survive the tide?"

She laughed, shaking her head. "No, sadly it didn't. But it didn't matter; I remember feeling so proud of it at the time. My dad took a bunch of pictures, and we still laugh about how the waves took it out in seconds."

"That's such a sweet memory," Colin said, appreciating the glimpse into her past. "I wish I had more memories like that."

Adrienne frowned slightly. "What do you mean?"

Colin sighed, a shadow passing over his expression. "My childhood wasn't exactly filled with those kinds of moments. My parents were... well, let's just say they had a very different way of showing love. There wasn't much patience or encouragement. They were strict, and it felt like I was always trying to meet their expectations."

Adrienne's heart ached for him. "I'm so sorry, Colin. That must have been really tough."

"It was," he admitted. "I don't have a lot of happy memories like that. Most of my childhood felt like a constant struggle to please them. I think that's why I appreciate our time together so much; it's such a contrast to what I grew up with."

Adrienne reached over, placing her hand on his. "You deserve all the happiness in the world, Colin. I'm so glad we have each other now."

Colin smiled softly, grateful for her understanding. "Thanks, Adrienne. It really means a lot. You bring so much light into my life."