Chapter 25

Adrienne

As Colin and I stepped back into the bar, the pulsating music greeted us, along with the chatter of my friends. I felt a rush of exhilaration and a hint of nervousness as I glanced around, but that thrill quickly turned into dread when I noticed Gavin leaning against the bar, his eyes fixed on me.

"Hey, Adrienne!" he called out, pushing off the counter with a cocky smile. My stomach twisted.

"Uh-oh," Colin muttered under his breath, sensing my tension. I glanced at him, but he was already bracing himself for whatever was about to unfold.

I took a deep breath, forcing myself to smile at Gavin. "Hey, what's up?"

"Listen, I didn't mean to make things weird earlier," he said, approaching me with that overly confident swagger. "I was just having a good time, and I thought you were too. No harm, right?"

"Actually, there was harm," I replied, trying to keep my tone steady. "You crossed a line, Gavin."

He chuckled, but there was an edge to it. "Come on, we were just having some fun. You're a great girl, Adrienne. Don't let him ruin that for you." He gestured towards Colin, who stood protectively at my side, his jaw clenched.

"I can speak for myself, thanks," I shot back, feeling a surge of frustration. Why couldn't he just take a hint?

Colin's presence beside me felt solid and reassuring. He was my anchor in this moment, and I could sense his protective instincts flaring up again.

"Adrienne, you're not really listening to what I'm saying," Gavin continued, his tone turning smooth as he stepped closer. "I'd really like to get to know you better. How about we grab a drink together?"

"No, thank you," I said firmly, shaking my head. "I'm with Colin."

Gavin's expression shifted, irritation flashing across his face. "Oh, come on. You can't honestly think he's good for you. He's just some guy who works at a bakery."

Colin stepped forward, his eyes narrowing. "You need to back off, Gavin. She said no."

"Wow, protective much?" Gavin scoffed, crossing his arms. "What's the matter, Colin? Afraid she might actually have fun with someone else?"

"Adrienne is not just someone else," Colin replied, his voice low but fierce. "She's not a prize to be won. She's a person, and you need to respect her."

Gavin rolled his eyes, but I could see the tension mounting. "Fine. You two can keep your little fairytale. Just remember, it's not all cupcakes and rainbows." With a last disdainful glance at us, he turned on his heel and walked away.

I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding, feeling a mix of relief and anger. "What a jerk," I said, shaking my head.

Colin turned to me, his expression softening as he took my hand again. "I'm sorry you had to deal with that. I didn't mean to cause a scene, but I couldn't just stand by."

"No, I'm glad you did," I said, looking up at him. "I appreciate you looking out for me. I didn't want him to think he could just waltz back in."

"Good," Colin said, his grip on my hand tightening slightly. "Because I'm not letting anyone get in the way of what we have."

I smiled, warmth flooding my chest. "Neither am I."

As we stood there, a sense of unity blossomed between us. Gavin's unwanted advances had only strengthened my connection with Colin. I knew there would be challenges ahead, but at that moment, it felt like we could face anything together.

"Let's get back to having fun," Colin suggested, his playful smile returning. "Dance with me?"

I nodded, feeling a thrill of excitement course through me as I followed him back into the heart of the bar, ready to lose myself in the music and the moment, with Colin by my side.