Chapter 33

As they stepped into the hallway, Adrienne felt the weight of the past few minutes crash down on her. The confrontation with Colin's father, the feelings of inadequacy, and the fear of losing Colin overwhelmed her. She could feel the tears welling up, and before she knew it, they spilled over, cascading down her cheeks.

"Adrienne?" Colin turned to her, his expression softening as he noticed her tears. "Hey, what's wrong?"

She shook her head, unable to find the words to express the tumult of emotions swirling within her. "I... I just can't believe he did that. I thought it was getting better between us, and then he locks me in a room like I'm some kind of threat."

Colin pulled her into his arms, wrapping her in a warm embrace. "I'm so sorry. I never wanted you to feel like that. My dad can be... well, difficult."

"I know you're trying to stand up for us," she murmured into his shoulder, her voice muffled. "But it feels like he's trying to control everything, including you."

Colin gently pulled back, cupping her face in his hands. "You're not a threat to me. You're my partner. I'm choosing you, and I need you to believe that."

Adrienne wiped her tears with the back of her hand, sniffling as she tried to regain her composure. "I do believe it, Colin. It's just hard to shake off the feeling that he doesn't think I'm good enough for you."

"Don't let him get into your head. He doesn't know you like I do," Colin said, his voice firm yet gentle. "You are more than enough for me. You're everything I've ever wanted."

With a shaky breath, Adrienne nodded, feeling the warmth of his words wrap around her like a comforting blanket. "I just want us to be happy and for your family to support us."

"Me too," Colin replied, his eyes filled with sincerity. "I'll figure this out. I promise. But we need to stick together. No matter what he says, we're a team."

Taking a deep breath, Adrienne felt a flicker of hope amidst the turmoil. "Okay," she said softly, managing a small smile through her tears. "Together."

Just then, they heard a commotion coming from the living room. Colin's father was arguing with someone, his voice raised. "You can't just ignore me! You need to understand-"

Colin tensed, glancing back at the door. "Let's just go," he said, his grip on her hand tightening. "We don't need to deal with that right now."

As they made their way toward the front door, Adrienne felt a surge of determination. No matter what obstacles they faced, she was ready to fight for their love. They stepped out into the fresh air, and Adrienne inhaled deeply, feeling a sense of relief wash over her.

Once they were outside, Colin turned to her, his expression a mix of concern and affection. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"I will be," she replied, her voice steadier. "I just need some time to process everything."

"Let's go for a walk," Colin suggested, leading her away from the house. "Just you and me. We can talk or not talk-whatever you need."

Adrienne smiled genuinely now, grateful for his support. "I'd like that."

As they strolled hand in hand, the weight of the confrontation slowly lifted. Together, they would face whatever came their way, and Adrienne felt a renewed sense of hope for their future.

Adrienne and Colin walked hand in hand, the tension of the earlier confrontation slowly fading as they made their way to a nearby gas station. The sun hung low in the sky, casting a warm golden hue over the pavement. The familiar sounds of New York City filled the air-cars honking, people chatting, and the distant rumble of trains echoing through the streets.