Chapter 40

April

            I guess it was naïve to think that Grady and I were never going to fight, but in those first five months we never so much as glared at each other and now, in my rage I decided it was long time coming.

            “I cannot believe you!” I yelled through my door.

            “Open the damn door Roslyn,” he demanded, but I braced myself against it.

            “Go away asshole,” Hughbert watched me from the bed and his little piggy head shook slightly, Crazy girl.

            “You are being crazy right now,” it seemed the two pigs were on the same page.

            “And you are being a jerk,” yea that sounded good. “Now go away.”

            “I’m not leaving until you open this door and talk to me,” he pushed against the door solidly, it shook.

            “I am not coming out of my room until you go back to your own damn house,” I screamed.

            “Roslyn Wren,” I stopped him.

            “Don’t you dare Grady Gibson,” he was quite. “I am tired of being your little play thing.”

            “What the hell are you talking about?” he scoffed.

            “I am tired of you only being here when it suits you,” I explained.

            “Am I supposed to understand what the hell you are talking about?” his anger came through the door and his anger only fueled my own, so I let the door fly open. It gave me deep satisfaction that he stumbled into my room.

            “You only come over here when you want to,” he stared at me stupefied.

            “What?”

            “When I call, you’re busy or you’re with you dad,” he rolled his eyes, we’d already fought about this very topic only two days ago.

            “Roslyn,” he pinched the bridge of his nose.

            “No,” I stepped back. “I am tired of being second in your life.”

            “You are not second in my life,” he stepped forward.

            “Sure as hell seems that way,” my hands went to my hips.

            “That is just because you are crazy,” he scoffed.

            “I am not crazy,” I sure sounded crazy, screaming at him like a banshee. “I barely see you anymore,” my voice broke. This is where the real problem was, I missed him, all the time and he seemed not to miss me at all.

            “Ros,” his voice quieted as he came forward again, “honey I am really busy right now,” my eyes rolled through my tears. “I miss you all the time,” he sighed, shoulders slumping. “Every single day I try to get all my shit done as quickly as possible so I can come here, but when I get here you only want to pick a fight with me,” I opened my mouth to argue. “Please don’t,” he held his hand up and offered a sad smile. “I love you,” he stood in front of me, reaching for my hands.

            “You are the only girl I have ever loved,” his blue eyes stared down into mine. “You are the only girl I will ever love, but,” my heart stopped, “next year is going to be hard on both of us,” the dreaded topic we had both been avoiding. “I’m not going to be here,” he whispered as I shuttered out a breath, “but you can bet that every day I will wish I could be here.”