Chapter 42

“What the hell are you still doing in bed?” the question woke me. I’d been sleeping a lot lately, mostly because my room was the only safe one in the house.

            It had been almost a week since Grady walked away from me and I barely made it through the day without readily breaking down once again. He was EVERYWHERE and while it used to be comforting seeing him in every class I had now just hurt.

            He still sat in the chair next to mine in every class, but ignored me to the best of his abilities, only turning to me to hand out papers. I couldn’t even eat lunch because he was there, sitting at the table like nothing had happened, like he hadn’t broken my heart into a million tiny pieces.

            “Get out,” I grumbled into my pillow; aware that he would not be able to hear me, I lifted long enough to repeat my command.

            “Get up,” someone tugged hard on my covers.

            “Leave me alone Ryder,” I warned, way past keeping my temper in check.

            “Get up Roslyn,” he demanded again. his tugs getting stronger. “You’re being a baby.”

            “Get the hell out Ryder,” I sat up, my hold slipping.

            “Not until you get out of that bed,” he stood at the foot of my bed with his hands on his hips.

            “I don’t want to,” I whined, slumping back donw.

            “Did I ask what you wanted?” his fingers closed around my ankle. “Get up.”

            “No,” I kicked, but fat load of good it did me. “Let go,” my fingers dug into the mattress, but could not find purchase so I was pulled to the floor.

            “There,” he smiled, “that is a little better, but I think we need to wash the stink off of you,” he started pulling again.

            “Ryder don’t you dare,” I yelled, why was no one coming to my rescue?

            “You need a bath,” already I could hear the water running as he pulled me closer. “Get in,” he pulled me to my feet, but I tried to dash for the door.

            “Oh no you don’t,” he caught me by the arm and all but threw me into the tub and freezing water.

            “What the fuck Ryder?” I screeched, tyring to claw my way out of the water.

            “Roslyn shut up,” he managed to dunk my head under the water, despite my trashing. I came back up sputtering.

            “I’m going to kill you,” I promised, water falling from my open mouth.

            “Guess you’re not clean enough yet,” he pushed me down again, the water muffling my scream.

            “Done yet?” my trashing answered his question and I was dunked again. It happened a few more times, until I was sure I had swallowed enough water to fill a small pool.

            “Okay I give,” I chocked out,

            “Good girl,” he patted my head gently. Rocking back on his haunches he smiled tiredly at me. “You can’t keep doing this.”

            “Doing what?” my arms cross over my heaving chest.

            “Moping.”