Chapter 4

"Roslyn!" Ryder's voice pulled me from my dreams. He was pounding on my door, "Roslyn!" He yelled again, I wanted to tell him that the door was unlocked, honestly I was surprised that he had not already broke the thing down. "Roslyn Wren Kohlepple! Open the door!"

I finally pulled myself off the bed, Hughbert picked his head up lazily watching me as I moved towards the door.

"What the fuck do you want?" I asked throwing the door open.

"Are you okay?" he asked looking surprised.

"I'm peachy keen jelly bean," I faked a smile. "Are we done here?"

"yea," he said taking a step back.

"Good," I said closing the door. I plopped back down on the bed and Hughbert buried his snout in my side.

I looked over at the clock and groaned, it was already 10 am. I rolled over to press my face into my pillow and screamed, Hughbert snorted at me and moved to make sure I was okay.

"Alright Hugh," I said sitting up, "it's time to face the world," I sighed and walked into the bathroom.

"Lordy lordy," I gazed at the black that had been smeared all over my face.

It took me 10 minutes to get it all off in the shower and when I stepped out of the shower I discovered that all that makeup was hiding an angry hand print. Last night flooded back to me and I winced at the memory of the fight.

"Well it's now or never," I said looking down at Hughbert after getting dressed; he was scratching at the door, no help at all I thought to myself.

I walked into the kitchen to see Jacque sitting at the bar eating, I promptly turned around to leave, but my dad blocked me in.

"Morning pumpkin," he said kissing my cheek, I tried not to flinch.

"Morning daddy," I smiled.

"Hungry?"

"Famished," I answer thruthfully and he smiled.

"Well let's eat," he said rubbing his hands together trying to look greedy and making me laugh.

I sat at the table in silence as my dad made out plates. Jacque came to sit next to me and I kept myself from lashing out by counting wood grain.

"Here honey," my dad put a plate in front of me.

"Thanks daddy," I turned to smile at him, but it turned into a frown when I noticed that Jacque was wearing Grady's shirt from last night.

That frown deepened when Ryder and a shirtless Grady sat down at the table across from me. My appetite was completely gone as his lightly tanned muscular chest taunted me. I pushed my plate away and stood, I could feel them all watching me.

"I'm going back to bed daddy," I said kissing his cheek, "I don't feel well," which wasn't a lie; I felt horrible.

"Okay pumpkin," he rubbed my back. "Baseball at 6 if you are felling up to it."

"Okay daddy," I smiled and walked from the room.

I was able to keep the tears at bay until I reached my door. As I grasped the knob they started to fall. I crawled under the covers, aware that Hughbert was climbing up his little stairs towards my bed. He cuddled into my side as I closed my eyes and willed them to dry up.

"Ros?" I heard Jacque call from my door.

"Go away," I tried to yell, but my voice was strangled and the door opened anyway.