Chapter 9

In calculus Grady's desk was pressed against mine, but I ignored him to lean over it and talk to Jacque. A few minutes before the bell Grady stiffened and his hand captured mine, I frowned up at him, but he wasn't looking at me, I turned to follow his glare and froze.

There was Jackson standing in the doorway, his arm around Gwen. His face was black and blue, but I wasn't focusing on his bruises, I was staring up at the cap on his head; my Yankees cap.

"Grady," I whispered, still leaning over his desk.

"I know Ros," he squeezed my hand.

Jackson just smirked at me as he and Gwen came into the room to take their seats. My mouth felt dry as I slumped back into my seat. How could he? I kept asking myself as Mr. Hunter started his lesson.

"Don't let him see it upsetting you Ros," Grady whispered beside me, I turned to look at him and he gave me a weak smile. I nodded and looked back at the board, I could hear Jackson and Gwen talking in the back of the room.

"Why did you ever want her when you could have me?" Gwen asked and I could just see her pressing herself up against Jackson.

"I don't know baby," he cooed, "I guess I was just stupid." Grady's hand tightened around mine, "I'll never settle for Grady's sloppy seconds again," I laughed at that remark.

"Miss Kohlepple," Mr. Hunter turned to glare at me, "is something amusing you?"

"No sir," I laughed undermining my own words.

"Please leave the room until you have calmed down," Mr. Hunter turned back to the board and I pushed Grady's desk away, but his hand was still in mine.

"Let go," I whispered so that only he could hear.

"Ros," he sounded worried.

"I'll be right back," I tried to assure him before pulling my hand from his.

I was leaning against the wall outside with my eyes closed when I heard the door open.

"I said I was fine Grady," I sighed, not ready to open my eyes.

Instead of saying anything to me he placed a hand at either side of my head and leaned toward me, I almost smiled, but when his scent washed over me my eyes snapped open. Grady was not standing in front of me, Jackson was.

"Hey there baby doll," he smirked.

"Jackson get away," I said shakily and I hated myself for sounding weak.

"Oh don't be like that baby," he came closer to my face. "Don't you wanna finish what we started?"

"Hell no," I growled, my fury coming back to me. "Get away Jackson," I repeated.

"Or what?" he smirked. "You gonna sick your little boy toy on me again?" his lips were so close to mine, I could almost feel them, it made me sick.

"See the thing is Jackson," I said bringing my knee up to his groin, he doubled over, "I don't need him to fight for me," I snatched my hat off his head before turning away.

I was pulling Ryder's cap off as I opened the door, Grady was watching me as I pulled my Yankees cap on, he smiled.

"You okay?" he asked as I took my seat.

"Peachy keen jelly bean," I smiled, focusing on the lesson. I ignored Jackson limping back into the classroom a few minutes later, his breathing was still labored.

"That's my girl," Grady smiled.

"I'm not your girl," I smirked.

"Not yet," he muttered, but I refused to look at him. I was feeling too good to let him bring me down.