CH 85: Into the Wilds of Howlreach

The next morning, Harry awoke to the soft light filtering through the high, draped windows of the guest room. He stretched, feeling the excitement bubbling in his chest. Today, the real adventure would begin.

After a quick wash, he dressed in his traveling robes and made his way to the large dining hall. The scent of roasted meats, fresh bread, and spiced tea greeted him as he entered. Keldor and his family were already seated around a long wooden table, and they waved him over.

"Morning, Harry!" Keldor grinned, his teeth gleaming under his beard. "We've got quite the day planned for you."

Harry took a seat, nodding in thanks to the servant who placed a plate of food in front of him. "I'm ready. But I have to ask—where should I start?"

Keldor leaned back in his chair, stroking his chin thoughtfully. "If you want to truly experience the heart of Howlreach, start with the Moonveil Forest. The trees there are ancient, and the magic within them is unlike anything you've seen before. From there, make your way through Silverfang Valley. It's a bit rougher terrain, but the views are worth it."

Keldor's wife, Elara, spoke up from across the table. Her eyes, sharp and bright like a wolf's, softened as she gave Harry a smile. "Clawhaven Retreat is nearby as well, a small but welcoming town. The people there know how to live in harmony with nature. It'll give you a sense of how we live, day to day."

"Moonveil Forest, Silverfang Valley, then Clawhaven," Harry repeated, tucking the names into his memory. "Sounds perfect."

Keldor's eldest son, Ragnar, a towering figure with wild brown hair, leaned over and added, "Just be careful in the forest. The wolves there aren't all friendly. Some run with the moon spirits—fiercely protective of their territory."

Harry chuckled. "I'll keep that in mind."

After breakfast, Harry gathered his belongings—maps, notebook, and a few potions Neville had given him for the journey. Keldor walked him to the gate of the city, where the towering walls of Lupenor opened up to reveal the dense wilderness beyond.

"The Moonveil Forest is about an hour's walk east," Keldor said, pointing down a well-trodden path. "If you follow the river, you'll find your way to Silverfang Valley. I'll be here when you return, but feel free to take your time."

"Thanks again, Keldor," Harry said, shaking his hand. "I'll be back soon—hopefully with some good stories."

With that, Harry set off, the cool morning breeze ruffling his hair as he walked. The path to the Moonveil Forest was serene, but as he approached, the trees grew taller, their branches twisting in ways that almost seemed alive. When he entered the forest, the air thickened with magic. The leaves shimmered with a faint silver glow, and Harry could hear the distant howl of wolves echoing through the woods.

"Definitely feels different from the Forbidden Forest," Harry muttered to himself, brushing past the thick undergrowth. He paused by an ancient oak tree, its bark inscribed with runes that pulsed faintly. Reaching into his bag, Harry pulled out his notebook and made a quick sketch, jotting down notes about the magic he felt humming in the air.

As he ventured deeper, the terrain began to shift, and soon he found himself on the edge of Silverfang Valley. Massive cliffs loomed overhead, and in the distance, he could see the shimmering river that cut through the valley floor.

"This is amazing," Harry whispered to himself as he continued walking, marveling at the beauty around him. He made mental notes about the various wildlife he saw, from the large, sleek mountain cats that watched him cautiously from the rocks, to the glowing insects that flitted between the flowers.

By the time he reached Clawhaven Retreat, the sun was beginning to set. The small town was nestled in a clearing, with wooden houses built into the hillsides. Smoke curled lazily from the chimneys, and the scent of cooked game filled the air.

Harry made his way to the local inn, a cozy building with warm lights glowing through the windows. Inside, he was greeted by the innkeeper, a burly werewolf with a jovial smile. "Welcome to Clawhaven, traveler. Looking for a room?"

"Yes, please," Harry replied, handing over some gold coins. The innkeeper handed him a key and directed him to his room.

Once inside, Harry dropped his bag onto the bed and sat by the window, watching as the moon rose high above the valley. He pulled out his notebook and began to write, recording every sight and sound from the day. The Moonveil Forest, with its mysterious glow, and the vast beauty of Silverfang Valley were now etched into his mind.

"I wonder what tomorrow will bring," he mused to himself before closing his notebook and settling in for the night, his mind buzzing with the adventures to come.