A Promise To The Dead

Scott stopped his bike in front of the house. I took off my helmet and let out a sigh. 'Scotty, do I really have to?' I asked. 'You pinky swore.' He replied with a shrug. 'Yeah I know but I could be with Stiles right now doing something... slightly more fun.' I replied. Scott looked at me over shoulder and shot me a death stare. I held up my hands and climbed off the bike. 'Fine, just know you owe me one.' I chuckled as I handed him my helmet. I walked towards the front door and rang the doorbell. Liam's stepdad, a.k.a a doctor at the hospital where my mom works and where I've been a lot, opened the door and raised his eyebrows a little. 'Hi there, Samantha isn't it?' He asked and I nodded. 'What brings you to my doorstep at this hour?' He asked me. Shit. Should've come up with an excuse before ringing the doorbell. 'Uh, Yes I eh... Have a totally good reason for being here...' I began and started ruffling through my bag. 'I am here because... your son Liam, whom I know for the record we're friends I mean I'm not some kind of crazy stalker.' I rambled and quickly shut my mouth. Gosh you stupid idiot say something useful! 'He eh... Forgot this paper at school and it's really important.' I said grabbing a random sheet of paper from my bag and waving it around. 'He forgot a paper so important you had to bring it to him at this hour?' He asked me, my mouth opened but no sound came out. His stepdad crossed his arms over his chest. 'I don't get it, Liam isn't even in your year, how could you possibly get schoolwork from him? And I know you're not a crazy stalker because I know you're dating the sheriff's boy.' He said. I sighed and lowered my head. 'I just really need to see Liam, I can't really explain but I just really need to see him.' I said. His stepdad nodded and stepped aside. 'He's upstairs in his room, second door on your left. You're lucky you got the sheriff on your side young lady.' He told me before walking off into the living room. Thank god that went well. If he hadn't let me in I would've had to break in and then I'd look like a creepy stalker. I walked up the stairs and went to the left. There was one door open and I could hear a video game being played. Okay, now, just don't be weird. I peeked around the corner, Liam and Mason were on the floor with the controllers in their hands. 'Ugh, when did you get so good?' Mason sighed. 'Have you been practicing? Or did you suddenly just get super human reflexes?' He asked, he then noticed me and he nudged Liam's side. He turned his head towards me, I smiled and quietly knocked on the doorframe. 'Hi.' I smiled. Mason dropped the controller and stood up. 'I should be studying.' He said. 'Oh you don't have to go, I just came by to check you know, I'll be gone in like five seconds.' I quickly said. Mason looked at me confused. 'You're dating that Stiles kid, right?' He asked. I nodded. 'Yeah.' He turned his head to Liam. 'Then why the hell would you come to this kid's house?' He asked jerking a thumb in Liam's direction. 'Hey, just stay for one more game.' Liam told Mason. 'Yeah, you said that four games ago.' Mason chuckled. 'We got a history test tomorrow, remember?' He added. 'You can study here!' Liam quickly replied. 'You can stay over, just come on.' I frowned, something was up with the kid. It was like... he didn't want to be alone. 'Liam are you alright?' I asked. He frowned slightly and looked away. 'Yeah, sure. You should go, I'll see you at school.' He said. Mason nodded and left the room. 'Why did you come here?' Liam asked as he put his controller away. 'I pinky promised my brother I'd look after you.' I shrugged. I took a sprint towards his bed and jumped in. 'Damn boy, this is one comfy bed.' I grinned. 'My dad let you in without questioning?' He asked confused. I shrugged. 'It was my charming smile and the fact that I'm dating the sheriff's son.' I replied. 'But seriously though, we nearly got set on fire, I get it if you're not fine, Liam. I'm not fine.' I said. 'You're just weird.' He replied with a shrug. 'Hey, weird is good.' I replied throwing one of the pillow at his head. He rolled his eyes and walked towards his bed. 'Are you gonna get out?' He asked throwing the pillow back at my face. I shrugged. 'Not unless you tell what's wrong.' I smirked. He sighed. 'Fine then, just know I need a lot of space.' He said pushing me to the very edge of the bed. 'Fine then, just know I'm a very stubborn person.' I said crossing my arms over my chest. 'Just don't tell Stiles I slept in your bed, he'll hang you on his roof and crash a plane into it.' I quickly added. 'You're the one who's not leaving so it's not my fault.' Liam shrugged before reaching out his hand to the light that was next to his bed. I grabbed my phone to text Stiles, I noticed the light wasn't going off so I turned my head to Liam confused. He was sat up straight and looked around the room. He then laid back down and reached for the light turning it off. I frowned a little. I opened a new text message to Stiles.