Chapter 9-- Omphalos

(Edited)

------------------------------------

Omphalos (noun)

Meaning: the center or hub of something

------------------------------------

<Black Rose's point of view>

I charge out the door. It smacks Kai in the face.

They're all there, even Kit (who was the only one that cheered). My jaw ticks. "How much of that did you hear?"

"Just enough to know that you're staying with us on the Bounty and that we are to assist you with bringing Katara to justice." Zane reassures me. I don't let my relief show on my face.

They don't know that name--good. They would probably just joke about it constantly (they don't know its connotation), so no real harm would be done, but I would rather not have to deal with it altogether.

Kit latches on to my arm, and I grin. "I promised Aquila that she would get to see you."

"Can I ride her?" Kit begs.

I nod. "If she'll let us."

"Who's Aquila?" Lloyd asks.

"My dragon." I take Kit back to the deck. I watched on my way here, so I know the way. The night sky twinkles down on us. When's Kit's bedtime again? ... I won't be staying for too long, anyway. Might as well ignore some of the rules for now.

The anchor is still lowered, but I glance at her. "Come on, get on my back." She obeys, and I climb down the chain.

"WAIT!" Lloyd shouts from above. Kit slides off my back runs over to Aquila, who nuzzles her face. I watch as Lloyd comes down, much faster than before.

"What?" I ask, irritated.

"I promised the FGAI that you wouldn't get hold of her. So if you're going dragon riding, I'm coming with you to make sure you don't leave," he crosses his arms.

I roll my eyes. I haven't let Kit come with me on any missions before, what makes them think I'll take her now? "Fine. But Kit's going to have to sit in my lap."

Strangely, I don't mind him coming, though I'm pretty sure if it were anyone else I would be ticked.

"So you ride without a saddle?" He gulps.

I nod. "Only novices ride with saddles."

He crosses his arms, huffs, and mutters under his breath. We watch Kit and Aquila play together, until she climbs on her back.

I don't mind, Aquila's pleased voice echoes in my head. I sigh and start walking towards her, but Lloyd grabs my wrist. The touch makes me uncomfortable; I'm not used to be touched by anyone other than Kit.

"I'm not sure about this," He says.

"We'll be fine. Aquila loves Kit; she won't do anything that she knows Kit can't take," I reply, still standing with my back to him.

He doesn't let go of my wrist as we approach her. "I've never ridden without a saddle," he admits.

No, duh. "It's not hard. Just sit between the spikes, and hold the one in front of you," I explain as Kit gets off. She knows how this is going to work; Aquila probably told her.

I clamber onto Aquila's back and hold out my hand. Lloyd takes it, waiting for me to pull him up.

I raise my eyebrow. "It was meant for Kit. Get between the spikes behind me on your own."