Chapter 10-- Ergometer

(Edited)

-------------------------------------------

Ergometer (noun)

Meaning: an apparatus which measures energy expended during physical excercise

-------------------------------------------

<Black Rose's point of view>

The training room Lloyd shows me is simple enough. Most of the room is covered in light blue gym mats, with a weapons rack and punching bag off to the side. Lloyd tells me about a different room with an obstacle course that I'll see later.

The rest of the ninja file in, muttering amongst themselves.

Lloyd puts his hands on his hips. "What are you all whispering about? And more importantly, why are you late for the training you're making me do?"

"We were talking with Sensei," Cole waves away his question. Lloyd narrows his eyes, but says nothing.

I regard the group with a detached interest. I'm just here for the warm-up. Cole leads us through various stretches, all of which are easy for me.

"Do you have no bones?" Jay whispers.

I don't respond. There's no need to.

"Silent but deadly type, I get it, Rosie." 

I take a breath to calm myself. Push it down, use it later.

"But we're not the people you need to kill, so you can speak to us. It's common courtesy to respond to a person--right, Kai?" Jay grins at his teammate, who stands up and flexes, catching the mood.

 "Sure, but I ain't no common person!" An annoying accent permeates Kai's voice.

Jay laughs. "Ain't ain't a word!"

"Ain't is in the dictionary!" Lloyd butts in.

"According to my databases, the dictionary states that it's a slang word," Zane corrects him.

"Only meaning that you wouldn't want to use it in an essay," Lloyd fires back.

I listen to them pointlessly argue until we're done stretching, wondering if I'm ever going to be able to warm up in peaceful silence during my stay.

Cole claps his hands together. "Ok, we're going to do a tournament. Last ninja or, ah, Rose..." he trails off, correcting himself. "Last person standing wins. We'll do it one at a time."

I nod in approval. This should be a breeze.

"That's not fair. Rose will get seriously hurt," Kai scoffs.

"Look who's talking." Didn't I beat him in the forest just hours earlier?

This ticks him off, but I choose to remain oblivious to the death glares he's giving me.

Cole nods. "He's right. No elemental powers. Besides that, I think she'll be fine."

I shrug. I honestly doubt that the outcome would be any different with or without their handicap; but it does make things easier for me, and I've fought a lot today.

Lloyd stops short. "You left your bow and arrow back in the forest, when Katara attacked. You'll need a weapon, we have a whole rack if you want to choose from our supplies."

"I have another weapon that I'll be using," I assure him. He especially  will not be getting out of this tournament easily. I'm going to win this thing. 

The ninja gulp at the mention of my other weapon, and I smile to myself. I can use that to my advantage. 

Besides, it's been a while since I've used my arma, and I don't want to fall out of practice.