3. Morals

Sunday May 28

Jake's P.O.V.

            The sound of running water woke me up from my restless sleep.  I've been having a lot harder time going to sleep since I started avoiding Chelsea.  Stretching, I slide out of bed and then proceed to take a shower, brush my teeth, etc.  After I'm done doing that stuff, I walk over to my walk in closet.  Yeah, we have quite a bit of money for just my mom working.  Well, my dad pays my mom some money for taking care of me and also pays for Tanner to go to college. 

            I pull out a pair of black dress pants and a nice white long sleeved button up shirt.  After I get my clothes on, I put on a pair of black dress shoes.  I then proceed to walk into my bathroom to look in the mirror.  The person I see has messy brown hair, hazel eyes, and average white skin that is a tiny bit tanned.  I don't tan that much.  It's probably because of the red in my hair.  It's pretty warm out so I roll my sleeves up until they're at my elbows.   I then attempt to fix my hair a little bit.  After about a minute I give up.  I'm not going to take a whole year like a girl would to fix it.  What's the point if it always get messed up anyway?

            Walking  back into my room, I grab my wallet and phone.  Before I put my phone in my pocket, I make sure that it's turned off before going downstairs.  My mom is sitting at the kitchen table with coffee and a blueberry muffin.  She smiles at me as I walk in and continues to eat.

            "Hey," I say as I walk over to our large silver fridge that has two doors and grab the chocolate milk.  I get a cup and fill it with the milk and then put it back.  Then I reach in the basket on the counter and grab a blueberry muffin too.  I walk over to the kitchen table and sit across from my mom. 

            "Hey honey.  I see you're basically all ready."

            "Yep.  Just got to finish eating.  Oh, and I was talking to Tanner yesterday.  He says he loves you," I say unwrapping my muffin.

            "Glad to hear it.  I love him too.  And you too of course,"  she says as she ruffles my hair.

            Raising my eyebrows, I ask her, "What about Dan?"

            Mom smiles at me after rolling her eyes, "Him too of course.  Going to ask if I love anyone else while you're at it?"

            "Nope.  I already know how you feel about Dad."

            Her body shakes slightly as she lets out a laugh.  "That I'm sure you do."

            Hm.  She's in an unusually good mood.  Maybe she finally stuck it to Dad and got him to let go of Dan.

            Soon we both finish and then go out to the car. 

            We arrive at the church and go in.  The service starts at about 8 a.m. and lasts for around forty-five minutes.  I go to a Christian church that is made up of about five hundred members.  Our church is kind of old fashioned, despite the other churches in the area.  By this, I mean that we are still required to dress up.  We also have acolytes (the person who lights the candle before the service and blows it out afterward).  That kind of thing. 

            The forty-five minutes pass quickly and I stand in the gathering area with my mom talking to other people from church.  My mom is talking to people while I'm just standing there awkwardly.  I spot Chelsea and her parents walking into the room. 

            Ugh!  Our pastor's sermon was all about morals and your beliefs.  One of his main subjects was about forgiving and friendship.  It was so intense and such a fervent sermon that I feel like I need to take action.  It was like the pastor knew exactly what I needed and gave the sermon just for me.  It's time that Tanner and Janae made up, so our families can stop pretending to hate each other, and so I can hang out with Chelsea again.  Looks like I need to have another talk with Tanner, pronto. 

            What will I do if he says "no" though?  I guess I'll just have to be really persuasive.  If that doesn't work, then I'll just talk to Chelsea without him knowing.  What he doesn't know won't hurt him, right?  I don't see how he'd find out anyway.  Him and his empty threats.  I doubt he'd do anything, anyway. 

            I'd talk to Chelsea today, but her parents are here.  I know her parents and my mom aren't really fighting, but I can't help but feel that her parents don't really care for me.  I don't think I did anything to deserve that, though.  Hm.  What could I have done?  I don't know. 

            Right at that moment, I realize that I've been staring at the ground and glance up.  Sure enough, there is Chelsea standing with her parents talking to an elderly couple.  Chelsea's parents are engrossed in the conversation, but I can tell she's not really listening.  To any other person, you would think that she's paying attention, but I know her better than that.  I look at her when she's not looking.  She's standing there with her pale skin, her freckles, her pretty red hair, and those amazingly pretty green eyes.  She's so pretty.  If she only knew.. 

            In case you haven't noticed, I like Chelsea.  I've liked her since sixth grade.  That was probably the best year of my life.  We had so much fun and were always hanging out because of Tanner and Janae becoming closer friends.  Seventh, eighth, and ninth grade were all really nice too.  Tanner and Janae were a really good couple and it seemed like they would be together forever.  I guess with them dating though, it would have been weird if I asked Chelsea out...  Yeah, pretty weird. 

            And now that I actually have a chance, I won't make a move.  A. because we aren't talking. B. because she doesn't like me as more than friends.  I guess we'll either make up and always be friends or we'll never make up and always avoid each other.  I'm hoping for the first one.