20. Thinking of Him, and Only Him

Friday June 1

Jocie's P.O.V.

            Dan Collin is constantly on my mind and invading my thoughts, where ever and whenever.  Lately, he's all I can seem to think about.  You know how you get when you meet a boy who seems to be your dream guy?  That's who it is.  I know it seems like things are going to fast, but I really want to see if Dan could be the guy I could be happy with.  He's not like other guys, not at all.  Unlike most guys I've met, instead of making me start the conversation, he'll do it.  It's only the second day that I've known him, but I feel if we get to know each other more, we could really have something.

            I've been starting to really enjoy his companionship too.  I love when he's by my side because I know he'll be there to protect me from anything or anyone.  I also love how he makes me feel all happy inside.  Does he know what he does to me?  I highly doubt it.  From my experience with boys, they normally never know when a girl is thinking about them a lot, but then again Dan is quite different compared to most boys I've met.

            He doesn't walk around the hallways checking out every girl he can.  He doesn't flirt like his life depends on it either.  He's also a gentleman too.  I can count on him to use his manners, open the door for me, and other things along those lines.

            I'm at the point where I really wish he would tell me he's interested in me.  Then, we could get to know each other more and eventually one day be more than friends.  If he isn't interested in me, though, I'll at least be glad that we can become friends. 

            I finish getting ready for school and then grab the bus at the nearby bus stop.  As soon as I get to school, I head over to my locker and quickly exchange my textbooks.  I'm not late or anything.  I just hope that if I do things at a more rapid pace things will happen faster like tonight..  I can't wait!  I picked out this really nice dress the day that Dan asked me to go with him.  Samantha and Aria helped me pick it. 

            My morning is pretty boring.  The teachers really aren't focusing on combining fun with education.  Every few minutes, I look at the clock, but then I sigh because only about 10 seconds have really gone by.  It's funny how when you want time to fly by, it doesn't and when you don't, it does. 

            I get to lunch and sit down with Dan and Chelsea.  Dan suggested that the three of us sit away from everyone else so we could talk about what happened when Chelsea wasn't in school.  Brains and good looks.  Dan has it all!  Too bad we don't have any classes together.  How did I become that unfortunate?

            Dan explains everything that happened to Chelsea while she looks somewhat confused and scared.  I can't say that I blame her.  If I found out that my date to a dance was being all violent I'd be worried too. 

            The two of them continue to talk for a while, while I just sit there and listen.  I figure it's best that Dan explains everything since he was there for the whole thing.  Plus, I just like to listen to his voice.

            At one point, Dan puts his hand over Chelsea's to comfort her and I can't help but feel a little jealous.  Yeah, I'vet touched Dan's hand before, like once or twice and that was only to guide him around or just for fun.  This is more..  affectionate.  He doesn't have feelings for her does he?  I don't see how he could.  He isn't the type of person to lead someone on while they like someone else.  No.  Dan likes me and just me.  I smile at the last part.

            Later, though, he pulls her into a hug and I've lost the little bit of confidence I had gathered.  I think I have misunderstood our relationship.  Although he's nice to me and all, it seems like Chelsea is the girl he really wants.  He wasn't leading me on, I was just thinking he was...

            The lunch period ends, and Dan and I part ways with Chelsea.  She goes right off to her class, which is the same one as Dan, but he always walks me to my class if he can.  Just like I said, huh?  Perfect gentleman. 

            He takes my hand and we walk down the hallway together, but this time there's no fighting or any violence at all.  It's nice and peaceful as everyone goes to their next period.  I really wish he was interested in me, but who am I kidding?  I've never gotten a guy to like me before, so why would Dan like me?

            Dan walks me to my class, and we stop right outside the doorway of my classroom.  I look up at him as Dan smiles at me and then leans down and I instantly close my eyes.  Is he going to kiss me?  What's between him and Chelsea then?  What's going on?  Dan isn't a player, is he?  I thought I found someone who's different, but maybe I was wrong.

            He gently kisses my forehead before straightening up and telling me goodbye.  Ok, so not what I was expecting, but still nice, very nice.  The whole time he was towering over me I could smell how clean and fresh he smelled.  I also felt the gentle touch of him that always feels so comforting.

            I stand there at the doorway in shock as he continues to walk down the hallway to his class.  As he's walking down the hall, two people run up to him and grab his arms.  One on the left and the other on the right. 

            What do they think they're doing?  Dan doesn't even like them they think it's still ok to hang on him?   The muslces on my face form a frown.  Typical Makayla and Brittany to be hanging all over boys that are out of their league. 

            I can tell that the other girls in the hallway are looking Dan over too.  Does everyone have to have eyes for him? 

            I watch as he carefully removes their hands from his arms and walks into his class.  I wonder what excuse he used to make them leave him.  Makayla and Brittany normally don't give up too easily. 

            Maybe this is just the start of something.  If it is, Dan might be in trouble.  No.  Dan's too smart to let some pretty, mean, immature girls take over him. 

            I turn and enter my classroom trusting in Dan's judgment, but still kind of concerned.  Although Dan is smart, he's not the one I'm exactly worried about, it's them.  They'll throw themselves at him until they get what they want.  Him.  I have to warn him as soon as the school day is over.  Even if I don't know how to feel about Dan and maybe he is bad or good, I'm still going to try and protect him, at least until I find out what's going on.