11. Cat Fight

Wednesday May 30 After School

Jake's P.O.V.

            Great...  So now Chelsea's parents and my parents are mad at each other.  I get that they want Chelsea to be safe and all, but do they have to take it out on Dan?  Dan was just protecting Chelsea.  I would've done the same if I would've been there.  Who wouldn't?  Chelsea is such a great girl that I'm pretty sure it's impossible to not want to defend her. 

~~~~~~

At Home

            Our mom and dad take us home soon after the fight.  Mom seems pretty upset with our dad.  I can't blame her.  He may be my dad, but he hasn't done much for me, actually I don't think he's ever done anything for me.  Dad still seems really angry and still has some anger bottled up.  I wonder why he's here.  He probably just wants to make it seem like he cares, but we all know he doesn't.  I'm surprised that Dan turned out to be the good person he is.  I would've expected our dad to wear off on him, and make him into a jerk.

            I walk up the stairs slowly and then head to my bedroom.  Today was such an exhausting day.  School was the same old same old and I kept worrying about Chelsea the entire day.  I get ready for bed, and then finally lie down for some sleep.  As soon as I'm in the bed, I crash. 

Thursday May 31

            I was so tired from the night before that I slept through my alarm clock's beeping.  That's when someone pounced on me.  My eyes shot open to see that Dan had jumped on to my bed and was now jumping on it.  Wonderful.  I guess instead of needing an alarm clock, I've got a little brother.  Even after Dan realized I was awake he kept jumping around on my bed.

             "Hey Dan!  Do you want to knock it off?"

            "Nope."

            "Why not?"

            "I'll stop when you get up."

            "I am up!"

            "Just because you're awake doesn't mean you're up."

            I groan.  "You're a pain!"

            He laughs.  "Good morning to you too."

            I glare at him.

            "Well someone's got to wake you up.  You should be glad to have me!" 

            I roll my eyes as he stops jumping on my bed and leaves the room.  Brothers.  Oh, that's right.  Tanner will be coming home tomorrow.  That'll be an interesting visit. 

            I get up and do my daily routine to get ready for school.  When I'm done, I head downstairs where I find my mom, dad, and Dan all sitting at the table in the dinning room in silence.  Well this is strange. 

            "Jake, honey.  Will you come in here and sit down?"  my mom asks quietly.

            I walk over and take a seat next to Dan.  He gives me a worried smile and I immediately know something is wrong.

            We sit there in a couple seconds of silence before our dad says he has to go to work.  He gets up and leaves the house.  I'm utterly confused.  Weren't we going to have a family meeting or something? 

            I look at my mom.  "What was that all about?"

            "Your father came into town on Wednesday.  Not because he heard about the accident, but because he wants to take Dan back home with him."  She pauses for a few seconds and then starts to sob.  I hate seeing my Mom like this.