Chapter twelve: This isn't home anymore

Stepping through the front door, it didn't feel like home anymore. The furniture had been put back in the same place it was before, or restored to its former glory. The marks on the walls had been filled in and covered with more wallpaper, and the small blood marks from when Charlie was attacked and kidnapped had been wiped clear off of the wooden floor boards. Someone had probably come to fix the place before my arrival, at least I didn't have to come back to a very big reminder that Charlie is gone and clear it myself. I don't think I could bare it.

I walked through the empty rooms running my fingers along the smooth wallpaper, only hearing the sound of my own footsteps echoing through them. It's not going to be the same anymore, no more smiles to be greeted with every morning. No more reading a book by the fireplace and listening to the rustle of a newspaper on the other side of the room. No more company in this big house.

I can't stay the night here, not yet anyway. It's something about being in a house by myself that creeps me out, even one person being in the house makes those creepy feelings go away, but that person is gone. Maybe I could spend another night at Gabrielle's, she makes me feel so much better when I'm with her. All the bad and depressing thoughts I have when I turn up to her house all disappear when I'm greeted with her beautiful smile.

I walked up to my bedroom to go retrieve my phone which I had thrown there, when rushing to get dressed to meet Gabrielle three days ago. When I checked my phone I'd had 9 missed calls from Paige yesterday. That must have been from before she came to visit me in the women's infirmary, but how did she know where I was? I thought that the assassins didn't know about anyone I knew apart from Charlie and my parents. Both now dead. But this is the assassins, they probably watch my every move. I texted Gabrielle, telling her that I'm coming over and asked if I could stay the night. She texted back straight away.

•••

Walking through the maze of streets, I felt like I was being watched. Occasionally I kept looking back down the street behind me, but no one was there. I shook it of thinking that I'm probably just still shaken up after Charlie's death. And maybe a little because I had killed one of the Templar masters, and the rest are probably planning to kill me.