Chapter thirteen: Stay the night

Walking through the maze of streets, I felt like I was being watched. Occasionally I kept looking back down the street behind me, but no one was there. I shook it off thinking that I'm probably just still shaken up after Charlie's death. And maybe a little worried because I had killed one of the Templar masters, and the rest are probably planning to kill me.

The feeling of being followed lasted until I arrived at Gabrielle's apartment. To be safe, I walked two streets the opposite direction and made a loop back round, checking behind me every few minutes until I reached Gabrielle's apartment again, but the feeling still lingered. This is just getting creepy.

I knocked on Gabrielle's door and waited outside, anxiously. As soon as Gabrielle opened the door I rushed inside and closed the door quickly. Gabrielle looked at me a little startled, I smiled back at her and hugged her. "What was that for?" she asked, "I love you" I said smiling. Gabrielle giggle, kissed me and then said "I love you too, but I meant why did you look worried when you ran through the door like that?". She loves me? Oh my god, yes! "I think I might have been followed, but I didn't see anyone so I think I'm alright" I said calmly looking down at the floor and then back to Gabrielle.

Gabrielle wrapped her arms around me and put her head on my shoulder "well I'm glad you made it here unhurt". Gabrielle then lifted her head up off of my shoulder, took my hand in hers and led me upstairs into her bedroom. We sat down on her bed with our arms around each other "so how have you been lately?" I asked, Gabrielle smiled at me and said "well this man tried to grabbed my ass, but I slapped him". I looked at her with my mouth wide open "what the hell, did he tried to do anything else?" I asked a little worried "no, hey look I'm fine. All I did was slap his hand away and he looked really embarrassed after that because people started to stare at him, it was pretty funny actually, afterwards though".

Gabrielle stroked the fallen strands of hair out of my face and kissed my forehead, I smiled and stroked her hand that had moved to my thigh just above my knee. "And how about you?" she asked, looking a me with her head tilted to the side. I sighed and looked down "I can't talk about it.." I said sadly, she doesn't know yet. Gabrielle put her hand on my cheek and stroked it with her thumb "hey its okay, you can tell me" she said looking into my icy blue eyes. I ran my hand through my wavy brunette hair and looked at her "you remember Charlie?" I asked, Gabrielle nodded and then frowned "el, has something happened to him?" she asked.

I looked into her ivy green eyes and nodded "he was kidnapped and murdered a few days ago" I said quietly, almost a whisper. A tear began to roll from my eye, Gabrielle put her hand to my face and wiped just underneath my eye with her thumb "el I'm so sorry" she said. I pulled a small smile and said "I'm fine, really", Gabrielle rubbed my leg and said "well, I'm going to make a hot chocolate. Do you want one?". I nodded and then put my hand to my stomach, my wound had started to ache again. Thankfully and also obviously, I had brought a medical kit that held my square bandages and tape along with some paracetamol. "You okay? you look a little pale" Gabrielle asked concerned, I gave a wiry smile and nodded "can I use your shower?" I asked. Just as she was getting off of the bed, Gabrielle pointed towards the door on the right wall and said "yeah sure, the shower is right in there" before disappearing downstairs to the kitchen.

I forced myself off of the bed and over to my bag to get out the medical kit. I could hear the banging of cupboards downstairs, I should have a few minutes. Rushing into the bathroom, I stripped as quick as I could and hopped into the surprisingly spacious small shower. Peeling off the square bandage, I let the water wash away any of the dry blood that had formed around the stitching. I had to rub my finger slightly to clear away some parts of the dry and crispy blood. When it was clean, I rushed out of the shower and dried myself, trying not to open up the stitching.

I pulled on a pair of clean underwear that I had brought with me and didn't bother to put the rest of my clothes back on. It would be easier for me to reapply my bandaging again if I didn't have to hold up a t shirt or pull down my jeans a little. I opened up the medical kit and pulled one of the square bandages out of its packaging, then tried to place it suitably over my stab wound. As I held the bandage in place with one hand, I tried to get out the tape with the other and then I heard the door open. Gabrielle stood at the door looking from my wound and then up to my face, she put a hand other her mouth and said "I-I'm sorry, its just you've been in here a while and I just wanted to check if you were okay..". I smiled and said "its fine, actually I need your help" looking down at the tape that was in my hand and back up to Gabrielle. Her face lightened up and then she started to walk closer to me and grabbed the tape. I held the square bandage as Gabrielle stuck down the tape, she kept giving me looks as if to ask 'how had I done this?' and 'did I do it myself?'.

When Gabrielle had finished she stood up face to face with me and grabbed my hands, looking a little worried "did you do this yourself?" she asked quietly. I could see her eyes going red as she waited for me to answer, "no" I said and I kissed Gabrielle's forehead. She let out a long breath like she had been holding it in during those few seconds of silence and pulled me in for a hug "The mission was to rescue Charlie" I said pulling away to look at Gabrielle "but it didn't go as planned" I continued.

Gabrielle took my hand in hers and led me to her bed, she laid down first and then patted the space beside her. Because I couldn't be bothered to walk around the bed, I climbed over Gabrielle and laid down next to her as close as possible. She wrapped her arm around me and placed her head on my bare back. I felt her every breath against my skin. "I love you" she said, I grabbed her hand and kissed it "I love you too".