Chapter three: The birthday

I woke to the bright light and the sound of robins coming from outside. I sat up and rubbed at my eyes to get them to focus, I looked to my right at the alarm clock, its 9:26. Suprisingly for a February morning it's not that cold. I got out of bed, put some clean underwear on and walked up to the mirror. Damn, I look a mess, I shuffle over to my tall white wardrobe and tried to pick out something to wear.

15 minutes later I chose to wear a white t-shirt underneath my favourite baggy navy blue pull-over and my all time signature piece of clothing, black jeans with my black canvas shoes. I can't go a day without wearing at least one item of clothing that is black.
I have only just realised... its February 5th.. my birthday, how could I have forgotten when I have been excited the whole week? I thought as I stood staring out the window. Just then I heard a knock at my door, I walked over and opened it. "Happy Birthday!" Charlie said cheerfully and hugged me before I could at least say good morning.

"Thank you Charlie" I said merrily and broke away from Charlie's strong hold, he smiled at me and walked downstairs.
Wondering when Paige and Gabrielle will arrive I pondered over onto my balcony and sat on my bench, overlooking some parts of London. From here you can see the London eye and at night its breath taking, I could just sit out here all night and look out at the busy streets of London from a far.

I got out my iPhone, put my earphones into my ears and drowned out the world listening to one of my favourite songs "buzzcut season" by Lorde. Her voice in this song is so gentle and I enjoy listening to it. I could listen to this song for every hour and the gentle beat would keep me calm.
I was listening to this song for the fourth time now until I realised that Paige and Gabrielle were standing by the door to my balcony smiling at me.

I got up, pulled my earphones out and walked over to them "hey!...um how long have you been standing there?" I asked apologetically. "Not very long, maybe about a minute or so" Paige said hugging me "oh and happy birthday!" She said as if forgetting to say it.
I looked at Gabrielle and she was only wearing casual clothing but she looked gorgous, she was wearing a cream wooly pull-over with a grey t-shirt underneath, dark blue denim jeans and brown boots that came up to the ankle.

"Hey, happy birthday" Gabrielle said with a gentle greeting, I hugged her and she hugged me back. The feeling of her in my arms was incredible, I never want to let her go. But the way Gabrielle hugged me it was as if she felt the same way I did. Our hug was around 7 seconds, which was longer than expected and we pulled ourselves away, Paige was looking at us awkwardly but smirking.

I walked over to my bench and Paige and Gabrielle followed. Paige handed me her present first, I unwrapped it and saw that it was a book that I had been asking for, it was called 'Gone Girl' and I heard that it was a pretty good book. I gave Paige a hug and said thank you, "no problem, and anyway you kept bugging me about how good this book was so I got it for you" she said.

Gabrielle handed me her present next and I unwrapped it. It was a charm bracelet with a crossbow and a gun on it, my face lit up even more "oh my god!" I said ecstatic. "I didn't know what you liked so I brought you this 'the walking dead' charm bracelet... I thought that because it was so popular you might of heard and liked the show" Gabrielle said unsure.
"I love 'the walking dead'" I said, Paige nodded in agreement "yep, thats true it's her most favourite tv show. She's always asking me to come over watch every season with her, so its basically what we do each month" Paige laughed.

"Thank you, both of you" I said, Paige snorted "thats ok, oh and Gabrielle even if Elizabeth looks like this, smiling and saying thank you, inside she's actually screaming at us that there is no need to get her anything. But I won't let that happen to my best friend" Gabrielle laughed and all I could do was smile embarrassed. "Come on let's get some lunch, if you didn't already know, I missed breakfast" Paige said.
We headed downstairs and bumped into Charlie in the hallway. I took the moment to introduce Gabrielle "Charlie, this beauty right here is Gabrielle" oh my god, did I actually just let that slip?! Gabrielle looked at me and then to Charlie as she said hey. I winked at Charlie when she wasn't looking to indicate that Gabrielle was the girl I met at the party last week, in return he smiled and nodded at me, probably praising my heart's choice.

"Charlie we're going out now so we'll see you later" I said as we walked out the from door. The three of us strolled through the front courtyard and onto the street. The cafe was a street away so we got there 5 minutes later.
"Hi Ron" Paige said to the owner of the cafe as we walked in, he was middle aged with long red hair which was slicked back and a shortly trimmed beard, also you can tell that he goes to the gym each week. He walked over to us as we were sitting down at a table and asked for our orders. "I'll have a tuna panini" Paige said, this was the usual order for paige.

Now and then I would change my order but I mainly ask for soup, "and I'll have tomato soup, please Ron" I said. It was now Gabrielle's choice to order, it may sound weird but I'm anticipating what she will choose, this would be the first thing that I know she likes.
"Um, I'll think I'll go with tomato soup too, please" Gabrielle said and Ron walked off into the double doors leading into what I presume the kitchen, "Pfft, soup lovers..." Paige said and Gabrielle and I laughed. 5 minutes later Ron came back to our table with our meals and Paige stuffed her face with her tuna panini, whilst Gabrielle and I ate spoonfuls of soup.

Once we finished eating, the three of us left the cafe and headed through the town towards a familiar field. It was an ordinary field next to a hill and had a tree fully grown on the far right side of it. The tree had a rope swing attached to it and as I can remember this is a very special place to Paige and I.
During our childhood we would come up here, take turns on the rope swing and plant very special memories of ours in a tin box that we would bury. But we both haven't been here since our graduation when we were 18 which was 4 yeas ago, "it's been a long time since I was last here" I said, Paige smiled and nodded in agreement.

"I'm guessing this place is pretty close to you too huh?" Gabrielle asked, the sound of her voice is so gentle "yeah" was all I could say.
We walked through the field and sat by the tree, Gabrielle and I sitting up against it facing Paige who is sat in front of us. I was sat so close to Gabrielle that our hands almost touched, "its a beautiful view here, I can see why you too were both attracted to this place" Gabrielle said as she was looking over at the town, at this moment I reached over and grabbed her hand. She squeezed it in return and gave me a little smile, "aww you too are so cute!" Paige said adoring Gabrielle and I's now obvious love for each other.

She continued "right, you too stay here" and before I could ask what she was doing she ran off. "And then there were two" I said which made Gabrielle laugh, "what do you and Paige do here?" Gabrielle asked and truthfully I said "we come here to escape our problems sometimes and to remember close memories that we have done together or with the ones we have lost"
Gabrielle squeezed my hand and asked "and who have you lost".
I was quiet for a few seconds "my parents" I said clearly so I didn't have to repeat myself. Gabrielle's hand came up to her mouth "I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have asked" Gabrielle said apologetically "no its okay, you didn't know" I said quickly so that she didn't feel guilty.

"Before they left they came up to my room and told me they were going away, my mother gave me this necklace and told me to look after it and I never understood why she gave it to me" and I showed her the necklace hanging from my neck.
I continued "they told me that Charlie would look after me and that they love me, the next morning I found Charlie looking upset in the kitchen. So I asked him what was wrong and told me that my parents were..." I came to a sudden stop, I noticed I was looking at the ground.

I looked at Gabrielle her face focused on me "I'm sorry" I apologised, she frowned at me, this was the first time I've seen her frown, she still looks beautiful "what for?" She asked. I sighed "for getting to deep" I smiled and she smiled "that was so emo" she said giggling and squeezed my hand in return. "Your smile is so beautiful" she said and if I'm being honest I was taken aback.
We stared at each other for a long time until she started to lean closer, so I did the same. Our eye lids closing as our faces got closer and closer. Until our lips almost touched when Paige walked around the tree with a dirty box in her hands, her smirk said it all, she knew.