Chapter eight: Missing

After spending the night at Gabrielle's house, I returned home only to find that it had been ransacked. The furniture had been tipped over or smashed, it looked like there had been signs of a fight or a struggle. Frantically, I searched the house continuously calling out Charlie's name. But there was no answer. I began running out the house and through the town to my second destination, the assassins hideout. Barging through the doors, I started screaming Marcus's name until I reached the training area. As I was meant to be doing more training today, he might be in here. Once I found Marcus, he asked desperately what was wrong when he noticed my panicked state. "Charlie is missing!" I exclaimed,  dropping to my knees and putting my hands on my head. "How long has he been missing?" Marcus asked, dropping down next to me. "I don't know. I wasn't home last night and when I came back, the house had been trashed and Charlie was missing" I said, trying to keep myself calm. "Okay, calm yourself down. We're going to take a look around the house and try to figure out what had happened" Marcus said getting up an lending me a hand.

Once we returned back to the house, Marcus and I searched every room for about 20 minutes, trying to find any clue that would give us an idea of what could have happened here. I was searching in the kitchen when I heard Marcus call me from upstairs. I ran upstairs to find Marcus in my bedroom at my bedside table with a letter in his hand. Marcus handed me the letter, it read.

Elizabeth, hand yourself in to the Templars and your poor Charlie will be spared. If not, then make sure you book a seat in the town hall to witness his death.

Crumpling the letter in my hand, I ran out of the house and onto the street but was soon caught by Marcus. He grabbed hold of my arm and dragged be back to the house, so that we were out of sight and hearing shot from the towns people. "I have to do this! I don't want Charlie to die, Marcus!" I pleaded, almost breaking into tears. "If you go to the Templars they will kill both you and Charlie. I know that he is very close to you and seems like the only family that you have left, I too know him closely. I know that it will be hard but you need to understand that if you walk through those doors and demand Charlie to be released, god knows what kind of things they will do to you before they kill you. And they won't stop there too. You are a valid part in the assassins now and we need you to stay focused" Marcus said, with both his hands holding my arms.