Eleven

"Hello, Cadence. Its always so nice to see you!" Mrs. Flowers chimed, pulling me into a quick hug. I smiled, timidly. Ironically Mrs. Flowers owns the local flower shop in town; Flowers for Days. She is a close friend of my family. She used to babysit my mom when she was a toddler.

Right now, I am pushing everything I learned this morning and last night aside so that I can focus on my own stuff right now.

"Let me guess, a bouquet of my brightest red and white roses and...daisies?" She asked. I nodded my head, "Yes ma'am." "I already have a bouquet set in the back, I have been working on it for a week . I know its around that time." she said, her happy wrinkles dropped into a frown.

"Follow me, dear." she said. I followed her to the back. "So, how have you been? Any special boy in your life? Your mother told me you got a new neighbor with two sons your age." Mrs. Flowers asked getting back into her usual happy tone.

Her old lady voice was so cute, Mrs. Flowers is by far the most adorable old lady I have ever seen. She was four-feet eleven inches, she was very petite. She always wears dresses hand crafted and sown by her hands only. Her hair was short, curly, and white as snow.

My face went pale and stomach turned when I thought about Jace...and this morning. After a moment of replaying that scene in my head, I said "No ma'am. Still just Grace and I" She turned around and smirked at my red face.

"You took to long to reply." she sang. My eyes widened. "Don't worry, my lips are sealed. Who is it?" she laughed. She is like my grandma, sweet and frail but also funny and straight up. She never had children of her own but has been married for almost her whole life, to the same man. She got married at 20 years old.

"His name is Jace." I said, almost in a whisper. "That is so great! I remember when I was your age and I had this boyfriend, well we weren't labeled as that but you get the gist, he was a very bad boy...but he was good in school. Which confused me but I fell for him and we got married!" she went smiled.

"Really?" I asked, shocked. It sounds like my situation, minus the marriage part and I don't think I am in that deep. "Yeah, but he is different...that is why we don't have children. I couldn't handle more of him running around." she half joked.

Different? Jace is different...like really different. Wait, no. Mrs. Flowers' husband couldn't be a werewolf I am probably just thinking crazy. I mean, Jace is a wolf and I wouldn't have expected that so Mr. Flowers could be a wolf.

Cadence! What are you thinking!? That is dumb, you have known them your entire life, be quiet. That is dumb. I thought and mentally yelled at myself. Actually, I have only known Mrs. Flowers my whole life, I have never even met her husband, and neither has my parents.

"But here you are sweetie, on the house." she smiled, handing me the bouquet. "Whoa, this is huge and beautiful." I said, shocked, this thing was like a tower! I mean, I usually just get a small one but this is an entire basket full.

"Its not every year a boy turns 21, now is it." she said, trying not to sound...well...you know. "Right." I said. "You sure, I have money." I said. "Nonsense, take it and hurry before I change my mind." she said and I took it without another word.

---

I walked to my bedroom and sat the flowers on my dresser, along with a heartfelt card I write out every year, Just to let him know how much I love and miss him. And how much I wish he was here to meet Jace and instantly not like him and think Jace isn't good for me.

Then, try and talk some sense into me and us fight about it. You, know brotherly sisterly love kind of thing. But that can't happen. "Cadence! Honey, I am home." Mom shouted from downstairs. I ran down to see her with flowers and bags.