2. Honeymoon

Written 2015 by VeGirl ©

Dedicated to @lisacldmom2ksd for the first vote on this story.

I do not own the photo, just wanted the talented photographer's view on Scotland. No copyright infringement intended.

* * * * * * * * * *

"Are you ready dear?"

"You don't have to rush me, I have managed to arrive on time my entire life and I will manage this time as well." There wasn't the slightest croak in my voice, but a sharp edge that was familiar to Charles even if that edge in my voice had changed over the years.

"I'm not, I just asked..."

I took a deep breath. "I'm sorry to sound like a total..." I shook my head, shrugged and then smiled wide. "I remember how we packed that old Austin filled with stuff before we set off on our big adventure all those years ago."

Charles smiled. "I'm looking forward to go on this trip with you... again."

"Yes, me too." I looked dotingly at him. "But I'm glad we don't have to go in that old Austin, like last time." I snickered at the memory of our honeymoon even if I remembered how the morning sickness had put a strain on the trip.

A taxi took us to the airport and it was certainly not the first time we had been there. The huge white interior echoed from my heels as we walked from the check-in through the facility. It was the minor waiting-area for internal flights and that suited us very well even if I gladly had walked through the tax-free shops yet again.

"Do you remember that time when we were going to Lourdes and the suitcases went to Italy?" Charles asked distracted by a family walking by.

"No, it was the other way around; we stood in Italy with no summer clothes."

Charles looked at me with his brows pressed together for a while as he checked his memory. "Right, now I remember." His brows shot upwards towards the receding hairline where the grey hair no longer shadowed his forehead.

I shook my head patiently with a smile gracing my features.

We took a flight to Glasgow from where we had rented a car. It was such a relief not having to go all the way by car, but to land so close to the mystic highlands.

I had booked a room in a minor hotel and when we arrived I was pleasantly surprised with my choice. It was an old building that had been carefully renovated and it looked like it matched the stunningly beautiful nature around it perfectly.

I was always the one that made reservations when we had gone anywhere; I had been the one that handled the children and household as long as they needed attention, since Charles had been the provider. A few of my female friends had got themselves jobs when the children grew up, but most people in our generation held the family structure they had lived under for years.

I made plans and Charles tagged along.

He was very pleased with my booking-ability this time, the hotel lounge had huge windows to a stunning view and I knew he pictured himself by the bar with a glass of single malt from the highlands.

One of the staff took our suitcases to the room which looked even better than the pictures on their web-site.

The bed looked so incredibly soft and I plopped down on it as soon as we were alone. A wide smile graced my face as I wiggled in the soft down. "This is so much better than the tent we had on our honeymoon." My long thick grey hair spread out on the bed like a halo.