46. Acceptance

Written 2016 by VeGirl ©

Maddie and I walked to the small coffee house I had found, where we took a seat. In the wake of her, I had already noticed a couple of muscular blokes looking suspiciously at everybody.

"Bodyguard?" I deduced.

"Yes." She exhaled. "Father insisted." It was easier to blame the man who wasn't here to defend himself Maddie decided.

A waitress served us the best smelling pastries I ever had along with cups of tea. I utterly enjoyed being here in the town I had named wonderland and was pleased to show its perks for Maddie.

My brows pulled together in bemusement. "How does it really feel to have this new situation forced upon you?" I was curious.

"It's actually okay. They're nice." Her lack of anger surprised me.

"But they took you?"

Maddie chuckled. "Yeah, it sounds dramatic, but he just wanted to offer me something more. Haven't you met him?"

"No, my mother, the one I thought was my grandmother..." I added and Maddie laughed. "Yes, well. A lot of that going on here aren't there..." Maddie just nodded with a wide smile. "Anyway, she put up a lot of warnings, so I figured those were for him."

Her wide smile met me. "He's okay. He was a little too much in the start, but he has quite a nice advancement plan. Ruler of the nine realms, it has a fancy ring to it."

"Yeah it trumps Princess of Alfheim." There was only a tad bitterness to that.

"That ex-boyfriend was a bleeding prince?"

"Well, that's history now, so..."

"Yes, Eirian told me about him. But she helped me find you, so that should end up on the plus account." I didn't know what to answer and sipped my cup of tea instead. "It feels weird to talk boyfriend trouble with you... nanna."

I exhaled tired. "Ty is not my boyfriend and I'd appreciate if we changed the subject. When are you starting the new job?" I mentally made air quotes at that last word.

"Well, it's a step up from the last one." Maddie smiled. "I didn't really have any good advance opportunities at Tesco."

Finally a laugh escaped me and Maddie added to that. It was a relief. "What are you gonna do?"

I didn't really know what to say, because I didn't have any answers. "I'm on the adventure of a lifetime..." With a sweeping gesture towards the door I smiled again.

"And..."

"Charles? He's already gone and after being a notorious cheater I say good riddance!"

Maddie sat nodding with wide eyes and closed mouth while processing this information. "I'm just having a hard time seeing you out and about in the greenery... You're the one who keeps families together and arranges parties and things."

"Who knows what my life would have been if I hadn't gotten pregnant with your mother." I sighed. "I have longed for an adventure since... actually always."

Once again Maddie sat still, processing everything. The guards suddenly approached us. I was surprised as they stood tall and broad next to our table. "Goddess, we need to take you to security."

"What's going on?"

"There is a disturbance outside, and we need to abort."

"What's going on?" I repeated her question. But the only answer was that they weren't sure. A change of energy was quite tangible and I wondered if Maddie was in danger.

"I'll be fine." She smiled as if she could read my mind.

"Please keep in touch." I called as these men took Maddie away. She simply turned and gave me a smile before they were out the door. I hurried after them, but couldn't see them anywhere. It was as if the ground had swallowed them up.

With a knot in my stomach I stepped out in the street. Dark clouds hovered ominously over us all, but the change was far from a simple thunderstorm. This was something else.

Curiously I walked along the streets in this small town that seemed to be alive. Since I first arrived here, not once had I walked in a silent and empty street, but everywhere people were out and about. Now it felt abandoned and I wondered if people here were scared of lightening. No thunderbolt echoed in the distance though and I wondered what was going on with the weather.

After being here for a few days I was fairly familiar with the town. A road circled this town and that was where I sought for what disturbed the little towns ambiance.

People; a lot of people.

I was surprised to see horse-driven carriges riding past and even people walking past this town.

"Excuse me for intruding," I called a man and woman walking past. "What is happening?"

"It's the royal wedding."

"Oh..." I nodded contemplative and hurried to thank them before they passed me. I had heard rumours about a wedding. So Ty and Eirian had decided to tie the knot already, I thought to myself. Well, best to act fast, before things goes bad. I didn't even need somebody to tell me that I sounded a tad bitter, I noticed it all by my self and had to remind myself that I certainly didn't own him.

Should I go there to wish them luck?

Probably not the best idea.

On second thought I really didn't wish them good luck, and what more, I didn't want to come back as the woman scorned. The abandoned ex girlfriend brings an ominous feeling to a wedding party, so for everybody's sake I should stay hidden in the past.

Fascinated I watched people walking and driving by, feeling like there was something I needed to figure out.

Should I send greetings?

In a flash I realized what I had missed. It wasn't mostly fairhaired elves that passed, but darkhaired. Why would so many of the dark elves go to a wedding party in the light elves community, I wondered.

Unless...

Perhaps it wasn't Ty and Eirians wedding?

A jolt shot through me.

"Excuse me, who is getting married," I called out with no answer. "Excuse me sir," I tried with the next one. "Who is getting married, sir?"

The darkhaired man looked down his nose at me. "It's the dark prince and Princess Penelope, of course."

My stomach was instantly in a knot.

Quin!

Quin was getting married? Had Penelope finally wore him down and he had agreed. I just knew I had to see him. I had to see him before this wedding.

I better hurry.

.