24. Into the nightmare

Written 2015 by VeGirl ©

Even before we had entered the dark forest, I felt icy chills of terror running up my spine.

"You'll be fine," Quin whispered and I wondered how he could know my hesitation. I realized that I had halted and that was an indication of fear if any.

"That forest is a nightmare," I whispered as the members of the guard assigned for our protection settled around us. Everybody was tired from walking. They had horses, but those were assigned to carry everything that was needed to bring with us.

* * *

From Quin's point of view it wasn't that much better. He dreaded that blasted forest. Every time he passed through it, he promised himself it would be the last. Here he was yet again, ready to face his demons.

He watched Fran slump down on a rock and taking her shoe off to rub an aching foot. "I'm not too keen on getting back in there."

He took a deep breath. "I know what you mean, but if we're to get Taitleach from the claws of his aunt, there's not much left to argue about." He had experience in getting attacked in that dark hole of woodland and had nightmares for months after going through it for the first time.

Fran sighed. Absentminded she took her other shoe off and rubbed both of her feet.

Quin was about to offer her a foot massage, but noticed how she seemed to avoid looking at him. 

A man approached and Quin was grateful for the distraction. "Night time is closing in and we should perhaps wait until the morning?" the commander of the troupe suggested, looking worriedly at the forest that seemed to emanate pure evil.

"You're correct, but once inside that blasted forest it will feel like pitch black night anyway, and I want to get going." Quin was edgy from more reasons than one. First and foremost he wanted to get his friend rescued, since he had already been incarcerated for many days. The second thing was that he had come to care deeply for Francine and the minute she was rejoined with Taitleach he was certain that his opportunity was gone.

With melancholy he watched her in the corner of his eye as she winced slightly while putting the shoes back on and getting back on her feet.

The commander gathered his force and they unloaded the horses before setting them free. The extra weight on the men made them a tad clumsy, but Quin knew they would be able to defend not only themselves excellent, but also him and Fran as well. To muster up courage, they all stood facing the dark forest before taking the first step inside.

Just then, a roaring noise grew and rose to an earpiercing scream. Francine gripped Quin's arm and was about to adamantly refuse to walk inside there again.

Suddenly two large men busted out from the forest, almost falling at the feet of the men standing there. Within seconds, the entire guard had swords out, ready for battle. The swords were not aimed at the appearing men, but at the ruckus inside that feared forest.

"Are you alright?" Quin was hindered to bend down towards the scratched up men by Fran's desperate grip on his arm and he didn't mind.

The men looked alarmed up at Quin. "Yes, but people in our group were taken," one of them said.

"I couldn't find my sister," the other one squeaked out with a horrid expression.

Fran was just about to say something comforting when a scream sounded from the forest. It was that kind of scream that made blood curl in your veins and everybody turned towards that forest.