27. Out of captivity

Written 2015 by VeGirl ©

"No, no flight."

I glared at the bloke in my company. "That is the fastest way to get there," I claimed with assertiveness. "Ty didn't want to fly either; is this an elf-thing?" My tone of voice was mocking, thinking of Santa's elves on the sleigh.

Quin took a step closer, forcing me to look up at him. "You know that I live in a hole in the ground." The close proximity made my heart once again speed up. "I need to be connected to the ground. Iron is poisonous to us and I will not travel in a little poisonous tube in the air."

Finally I understood their reluctance. Quin's sizzling hand as he touched my old iron dagger flickered through my mind and I shuddered. "Okay." Breathless and with fluttering eyelids I did my best to regain my composure. "Okay, we'll take the car, it's no problem."

Quin looked more seething than alarmed and it took him effort to calm down.

"I'm sorry."

He slid his hands into my hair and held my head in a soft grip. "I draw power from the ground like all of us fae do." His dark eyes roamed over my face and locked into my light blue ones. "I'm sorry if I scared you. I'm anxious to get going; Ty has been held by his nutty aunt for too long and we need to find him."

"I know." I stood there with my eyes up at the tall man, feeling vulnerable but even more feeling like I had mistreated and mocked the man. "I'm sorry," I squeaked out; eyes filled with guilt.

He stroked my hair. "Don't be," he whispered, unable to strain his eyes from my lips. Finally he refused to restrain himself anymore and crashed his lips against mine. Passion flared like a bucket of petrol on the embers that had simmered between us since our first meeting. I slid my hands around his taunt body and pressed him against me. Over and over he claimed my mouth with a carnal hunger and I wasn't late to respond. When we started to tear at each other's clothes it was time to hit the pause button and Quin clearly was the one with best selfcontrol. He grabbed my shoulders and held me away from him.

I was breathing hard and the pulse thrummed in my ears, making hearing complicated.

"We better get going." He smiled wide, but the passion still swirled in his grey eyes. 

I nodded raptly and then snickered nervously. "Yes, we better."

With a last tight embrace, he led me inside the house to pack what we thought we would need. Quin went to the herb cabinet while I went through the notes I had made earlier. I had searched the internet for plausible locations in Glasgow since that was the connection Roselba might have here. I collected whatever I thought could be of use and packed it into my suitcase before I walked downstairs. I had no real idea what we were about to face so my carry on was light.

Quin was already standing by my car. "My lady." He opened the door for me before rounding the car and took his seat behind the steering wheel. I was fighting the strain between us, and so was he. He took us out of town, heading north while braiding his fingers with mine. That eased the tension slightly.

There was no safe topic to venture into and that made us stay silent for a good part of the trip. Quin probably wondered just like me, what would happen when we managed to free Ty; would our feelings remain or would the air still crackle between Ty and me? This was an awkward ménage trois.

After a long trip where we only paused for lunch, we finally arrived at the hotel we had picked out. The scenery was once again breathtaking to me and I snickered to myself, behaving as if I had never been outside. That couldn't be further from the truth.