18. Across the land

Written 2015 by VeGirl ©

This is yet another beautiful picture that I have no claim over. I wish I knew who took it so I could credit the correct person.

* * * * * * * *

"How can he be safe at home, we saw him being taken."

"Couldn't he have called to tell us?"

Quin gave me a look that questioned my sanity. "Have you seen any phones here?"

I looked around as if I saw everything again for the first time; the rococo furniture, the paintings with golden frames. Everything was delightfully decorated in pastel colours, associated with picture of the sixteen century.

"Have you seen anything electric?"

This was my time to give him something of the evil eye. Of course I had, I looked around to clearly point things out to him. The lightfixture was at a closer look not electrically operated, but connected to some kind of gas. Determined to prove what I had known to be electrical I scanned the room to end on a ventilation bar. "Ventilation," I finally said triumphantly.

He smiled. "Fans are quite capable of functioning on its own; have you heard of windpower?"

I frowned.

His eyes twinkled victoriously. "I'm sorry to tease you, but you humans tend to rely a little too much on electricity, and forget how your coal and nuclear power affects the earth."

I had no arguments, knowing full well that he was right. Without a doubt I had turned my telly on, ignoring how the power was produced as long as it was delivered.

It was clear to see that he knew he had hit the spot and refrained from making his statement deeper. "I think it is time to talk to our dear Taithleach Devon Aguilon now."

* * *

My legs hurt from all the stairs to climb, but eventually we reached the guards and could exit the dark elf community. I wanted to speak to him about exit plans and safety, but simply ran out of energy. The dark forest was alarmingly close and I could feel the ominous radiation from it.

"We don't have to get in there again. It's this way."

I looked up to find Quin observing me with a guarded look. A smile made the anxious eyes relax. "Thank you."

Those two words made his feature harden again. "Sure..."

I didn't understand what I had done to offend him, all I had done was to say thank you. "I really appreciate it Quin," I elaborated in a soft tone and like a flash of lightening a memory dawned on me. "That's it, right? My grandmother told me not to say 'thank you' if I should ever meet any faeries," I murmured slowly, noting how Quin's eyes widened just a fraction. "I had forgotten about that. But to my defence I thought faeries were make believe."

"First." He put one finger up. "I am not a faerie!"

I shortled. "No, you're not." I smiled wide towards him.

"Secondly..." He put another finger in the air, actually coming very close to the two fingered salute. "You're... welcome."

I laughed in a way I hadn't in days now. "Thank you," I repeated teasingly and hooked my arm under his. "That was very generous of you."

The look he gave could only be described as glaring.

"Let's go find your old friend and nemesis," I kept teasing and noticed how his eyes lost the stone coldness and how soft lines of humour were visible around the corners of his eyes. "We better go ask the prick why he simply disappeared without a word." The weak and vulnerable side was deeply hidden within me, masked behind irritation and anger.