6. Secrets deeply hidden

Written 2015 by VeGirl © The photo is owned by the talented felawn on deviantart.

* * * * * * *

A dark beauty emerged from behind the last trees almost at the loch. "Charles, I've waited so long for your return." The voice was silky smooth and I stood glued to the spot, mesmerised by her.

Return? I turned to glare at my husband.

All colour drained from his face and I as his wife of many years watched him in fascination as he seemed taken aback from the approaching vision of beauty. The woman stalked graciously forward, almost flowing and the closer she got, the paler Charles got.

All I could do was watch in amazement as the gorgeous woman slid her arms around his waist like a snake would and claimed him as hers.

Her dark hair shone as if it was wet, as did her long dark blue dress, hugging her svelte figure. "I told you that you would come back to me one day." Her voice almost felt like a chime tinkling in the wind as she looked deep in Charles' eyes and he seemed to daze off.

Who wears a dress in the forest? I thought, momentarily stunned by this beauty until I understood what was happening. "Stop it!" My word cut through the dense ambiance. "You can't take him!"

The gorgeous woman turned her gaze on me as her arms slid away from Charles. "Would you rather it be you?" she almost sang softly and had suddenly her arms snaking around me instead. One look into those enigmatic eyes and I was unable to form any contradictive thoughts. Desire pooled inside me instantly and I wanted this woman to sweep me away; I who had never been attracted to a woman in my life, suddenly found a wish to be devoured by this woman; this creature.

"No!" Charles called out in a hoarse voice. "You cannot take her!"

I found myself almost hissing at my husband to stop interfering, but he only had eyes for the beauty by my side.

The beautiful woman snickered softly. "I can take both of you." Her voice chimed in the wind. "...if you prefer that, my love?"

I growled internally until I understood that my wrath wasn't directed towards this other woman, or whatever she was. The wrath was directed towards the man who had been my husband for fifty years, even if he now only looked like he was in his early thirties.

The almost mythical figure snickered and it felt like drops of crystal or silver raining down over us. "I think I will let you decide." Her smile had a vicious hint, but neither of us noticed. "You will have until sundown." As graceful as before, she stalked to the loch and walked out in it.

Charles and I followed her to the edge of the water as she, before our eyes sunk down, submerged with the water and simply disappeared.

It wasn't until then that I snapped out of our compelled state of mind. "What the bleeding hell was that?" I turned and glowered at Charles.

Charles remembered that horrid day so many years ago when he had woken up at dawn and the water had tempted him with a morning swim. He had never been an especially talented swimmer and as he had laid there carried by the surface of the dark loch, he had been startled and accidentally had swallowed a small amount of water which resulted in him coughing his lungs out.

He panicked and started to drown.

A dark force seemed to pull him under the water and weird images had flickered before his eyes as he began to drown. Just as they said when you're dying; life passed before his eyes. In a rapping speed, actions were shown like a flickering silent movie as the airflow stopped oxygen to nurture him.