11. Preparations

Written 2015 by VeGirl ©

Ty was deeply immersed in the dusty old journal we had found. "If this was to fall in the hands of the fae, I think you are in danger my dear." He carefully turned a creaking page.

A jolt of danger surged through me, but I held in a snort for the comment about fae. "What does it say?" Once again I snatched the book from his hands only to find it filled with gibberish however finical and swirly. "Why did my Nanna know how to write in your language; whatever that is?" I waved my hands about in frustration and thereby also the old book. Ty's eyes never left that book. "Are you ever going to tell me what you are?" I was dead tired from everything that had happened over these last twentyfour hours. He carefully took the book back and was instantly involved in its fascinating story.

"Elf," he simply stated without looking at me.

I blinked. "What did you say?" I looked up at the tall man in my tiny shed.

"I am one of the light Elves."

That was the proverbial drop that made my entire existence crash down and I started to laugh. "Elf?" I managed to snort between racks of laughter that bubbled out of me as I held my stomach and laughed until tears flowed down my cheeks. "That was the cutest thing I've ever heard." I laughed until I had to lean against the wall for support.

Ty's his expression held none of my mirth as he glanced my direction. The more I laughed, the grimmer he got. "Would you mind closing that lid?" he snapped, referring to the cast-iron lid of the oven before he hightailed out of that shed.

When my laughter had subsided I came snickering back to the house to find him deeply involved in that newly discovered journal. Once again he had twisted his hair up to prevent it from falling in his face.

"Are you still brassed off?" He kept his attention on the swirly handwriting in the book, while ignoring me. "And where is your green hat and pointy shoes?" I thought I heard him sigh but that was all my provocative way managed to evoke before I realised my own childish behaviour. "Aren't elves Santa's little helpers?"

"It says here that they tried to take you when you were just a little baby."

"What?" A shill like a cold shower ran through me, sobering me up instantly.

He kept his attention on the book and carefully turned the page. "That's when your grandmother started to build protective spells around you." He had effectively ignored my goading and kept his attention on the grave things written down in the journal before him. "You, my dear are apparently more precious to my kind that I ever knew." With that statement he looked up at me with those enthralling eyes.

The distressed look on my face revealed that I was no more in a mocking state of mind. Tears started to well up in my eyes as my life crashed down on me once again.

He quickly got to his feet. "It's okay, I've got you." He wrapped his arms around me while my tears flowed freely now and I started to shake. "I've got you; you're safe with me."

My body shook with sobs as everything I had learned that day overwhelmed me again. The calming herbs he had slipped me did nothing to calm me now. It was obvious that my emotional state could borderline between laughter and tears; it was the worst side of both puberty and menopause, I was probably experiencing both. There were so many questions that spun faster and faster in my head, but none of them were aired.

* * *

Ty wasn't sure what had made her react so fiercely, but focused on the instinct of comforting her. While she cried in his arms, he was trying to sort out the conflicting feelings within. He knew what he was supposed to do, but he knew he couldn't abandon her like this.