Chapter 4

-Jake-

Stacey just got up and ran. I couldn't run after her because I was too shocked at what she said. I remember that promise. What was so important about that phone call?! I groaned in frustration.

I stood up and saw she forgot her backpack. I picked it up and a book fell out. I looked at it and realized it was a diary. I opened to the first page and saw it was the day I didn't pick up her phone call.

February 13, 2008,

Sitting at a hospital isn't what I expected, especially sitting here all alone. I called Jake but he didn't pick up and he broke his promise. The doctors gave me this journal so I could write in it if I got depressed or went suicidal. I mean, I just lost my mom, I'm not going to go suicidal, right? Depressed, probably, but not suicidal, I think.

The other thing is that my dad is acting weird. He keeps giving me hateful glares. I keep wondering what I did. The doctor came out a couple minutes ago and told me they did everything they could but they couldn't save her. It was almost as if she died on the spot, I should've suspected that she did, but the full reality never hit me until now. I'll never get to see my mom again! I should've got home sooner! I think I realize what I did now, this is all my fault.

-Stacey

I gasped and realized I had silent tears streaming down my cheeks as I realized the reality of this situation. I wiped my tears angrily. I can't cry. I then gingerly opened her backpack and  put the diary back where it belonged. I sat on the grass silently looking out over the field. My heart ached, but another part of me told me this is how it's supposed to be. I'm where I belong, out on the field. I truly do love the sport, but my heart just didn't feel right. I had broken my promise. It wasn't like she lost her dog. She lost her mom, and I wasn't there for her.

I decide to read the next page.

February 14, 2008,

Once I got to school I saw Jake with the cheerleaders and football players. So that was who he chose over me. I tried to get his attention but he wouldn't even spare me a glance. My heart broke even more.

When I got home there were beer bottles everywhere, but my dad wasn't home. I am worried, I didn't think a person could even drink that much without dying. I hope he'll be alright. For now I guess I'll just get my homework done and the next days work too since I will most likely be too down to do it tomorrow if this carries on.

-Stacey

Another tear slipped out and another angry swipe to get rid of it. I didn't realize I broke her heart. I didn't mean to do that, but my biggest concern was with all the beer bottles.

I decided to read another page.

February 15, 2008,

When I got to school I basically moped around. I payed attention in class but I didn't talk as much and I wasn't as active as I normally would've been. I just didn't have it in me today.

When I got home, I wasn't expecting what awaited me. I walked in and my dad was there with beer bottles surrounding him. I was about to tell him how worried I was for him, but then he started yelling at me saying it was my fault for my mothers death. I didn't have it in me to argue with him, and besides I already knew I was to blame.

The next thing that happened made me feel like I'd been set on fire. Pain raged through my body kick after kick. Punch after punch. The beating seemed to go on forever until I blacked out I think. I don't really remember the rest so I must've really blacked out. I woke up with little piles of blood around me and in a pile of bruised and cut flesh. I could barely make it to my room to write.

I think I'm going to stay home for a week so I can heal. I don't think I'll be able to get through school without crumbling in pain.

-Stacey

That's when everything I've ever known about Stacey felt unreal, and I realized I really don't know her at all anymore. She was right. All of these facts and new information swarmed in my head and I couldn't seem to push them away.

I sat there and all I could hear in my brain was You left her, and now she's paying a bigger price than you ever have.

-Stacey-

Once I was done running, I found myself in one of my favorite clearings. It has a lot of flowers and a small stream and the trees act like their protecting you from all harm outside.

I realized once I felt my shoulder, I forgot my backpack. So I started running back to get it.

When I got to the field I saw Jake with my journal reading it. He put it back in my backpack and I watched him wipe his eyes angrily. I frowned. He shouldn't be angry, it's my fault. Maybe he really doesn't care...everything really is my fault.