Chapter 44

Song of the Chapter: TALK ME DOWN -- Troye Sivan

Needless to say, Troye and Tyler left shortly after.

I refused to go upstairs, knowing that if I stepped into that room I would be the one pressured to apologize, and I won't have it. His reaction was completely inappropriate and unnecessary. I understand his frustration but throwing glasses seems a bit extreme.

So I stay downstairs. I finish my glass of wine, hoping to go back into my hazy state that Harry's little episode sobered me up from.

I occasionally hear footsteps, some pacing, before it settles, and I roll my eyes, wandering towards the laundry room down the hallway of the guest bathroom. I grab a pair of sweatpants and a shirt from the laundry, holding onto my pride. Because I refuse to step into that room.

So I change. And I lay down. On the couch. And sleep. Alone.

....

And then I wake up. In the pitch black, screaming, sweat dripping down my forehead as I shoot up, feeling hands grasping my shoulders.

"Hailey, calm down, it's a dream. It's okay." The deep voice speaking quietly beside me obviously belongs to Harry, which calms me for a moment before making me more anxious. I sit in silence. He stays silent. And when I wipe the sweat from my head, he walks away, going up the stairs. Moments later, just as I start to give up hope, his voice echoes through the apartment. "Come here." He says simply, but I oblige, jogging up the stairs, scared of an invisible man in the darkness chasing me.

I find him in our bedroom, plugging in the CD player that was always at the side of my bed in my old apartment. I hadn't seen it since moving in, but as I see him close the door to the bedside table on his side, I know he's had it tucked away, just in case.

He hits play, setting it beside the bed, before nodding his head to me, and I climb in. He stays standing, adjusting the volume, before looking at me once more, and then walking out of the room.

And he sleeps on the couch. And I sleep in the bed. And we don't talk.

....

And when I wake up, late, having never set an alarm, he's already gone. Kate had called me, having been granted my number by Harry, who had apparently asked her to give me a wake up call upon his arrival at the office.

I hurriedly get ready for work, even though I have plenty of time, and go downstairs to find coffee left in the pot for me, and a note, with a phone number written on it, and writing beneath.

Driver for tonight. Call when you're ready.

It reads simply and I simultaneously find it endearing that he wants to make sure I'm safe, but also aggravating about how he can do this when we aren't even speaking to each other. It makes me love even more while making me mad beyond belief.

....

I made good time getting to the office and put on a smile, refusing to allow my problems to drag Perrie down even more. She doesn't need that, especially now.

As I go through the new Gucci collection sketches, with a pile from other designers waiting, I received a text from Kate, giving me the details for tonight. She hinted towards a conversation she had with Harry but I didn't ask for her to expand, trying to keep my mind off of it.

When I hear two knocks on my door, I sit up straight, telling them to enter. Addison walks in, her gorgeous blouse and skirt combo fitting her perfectly. I envy her to infinity. "Hailey, how's it going?" She asks as she walks in with a smile and I shrug, forcing a smile.