Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The car pulls up to the office and I pay the man before stepping out. The elevator finally opens and Perrie waves.

"How was it?" She asks with a big smile, her light purple hair swinging in the ponytail.

"It was just dandy." I say sarcastically. Her smile falters and she sighs.

"What happened?" She asks, her expression becoming concerned. I shrug and she shakes her head. "Is this about that guy that was here yesterday? Henry or something?"

"Harry." I correct with a laugh, "and no, don't worry about it." I turn and go down the hall to my office. I sink into my chair and pull out the bag of sour gummy worms I keep in my drawer. I force myself to pull out files, knowing that, once again, if I drown myself in work I can forget about my problems.

I get through 2 hours of work before my phone rings.

"Hello?"

"Hailey, I've got that guy, Harry, one line 2. Should I send it though?" Perrie's voice comes through nervous. Of course it's him.

"Yeah whatever." I say and the line goes dead before reconnecting again.

"Hailey?" His deep accent reaches my ears and I get chills.

"What?" I respond coldly, hoping he'll get the hint I don't wanna talk to him. Just tell him you don't wanna go to dinner and hang up. My mind repeats the plan but I can't force myself to do it.

"You're mad." He states with a sigh and I roll my eyes. Hell yeah, I'm pissed.

"I'm not going to dinner. Something came up." I lie through my teeth even though I don't need to. He knows why I'm not going.

"I figured." He replies cooly and I fight the urge to hang up right there.

"Bye Harry." I listen to him sigh one more time before reaching to hang up.

"I'm sorry." His voice comes in as a whisper, just before I hang up.

"You have a funny way of showing it." I say and linger on the line for a minute, listening to his breathing hitch and then pick up before I end the call.

I lean back in my chair and allow my head to drop back into my hands, shaking back and forth. This is ridiculous. I allowed myself to think that he could be good and possibly even a friend, and then he goes and screws up again. And doesn't try to stop me.

"Hailey?" Perrie's voice peeks through the room as she knocks and sticks her head in. I pick my head up and nod, giving her a polite small smile. "What happened?" She asks and takes a seat in a chair in front of my desk.

"Just another asshole." I say and she nods with a small laugh. "Speaking of assholes, how's Zayn?" I joke and we both laugh.

"He's great. Thanks for asking." She says with a big smile, her skin glowing. I've seen them together and they are perfect. A perfect balance. They're in love, you can see it when they look at each other.

"As long as I'm a bridesmaid." I say with a smirk and she giggles. My guess is they will be engaged within the next few months, and I'm happy for her.

"Of course." She says with a toothy grin before standing up. "Alright, well if you aren't gonna give me any gossip then we should both get back to work." She says and I nod once before she leaves, closing the door behind her. I dive right back into my work without giving my mind a moment to catch up.

At 5 o'clock sharp I gather my things and excuse myself from the building, getting straight into a cab home. Luckily, it's not a long drive. It's actually quite short, even with traffic, which is rare for London.