PART: 04

[▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎]

[▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎]

This is when those crime shows come into play. When I watched them with my mom, I would think of how dumb these people would be because they didn't escape. They had so many opportunities, and they didn't take it. Now I know exactly how it feels.

I back away slowly, keeping my distance."Okay, if this is a drug deal then I'm good. Already have some dude," I say cautiously.

"No drugs, Rowen." He has a British accent on top of that. Definitely not from around here. He's an older man, forties, appears cranky. "I'm here to offer you a once-in-a-lifetime deal. We have been watching you."

Now this is my chance to run, but my feet don't move. "What? Who the fuck are you man? You've been watching me. You said we. There's more watching me!"

"Calm down you annoying twit."

"What?" I just shake my head and rub my temple. "Look, just let me get on my motorcycle and leave me alone. It's been a very long day and now a very long night."

"No one is stopping you, my dear. I'm only here for your own propostion. What you do after that is up to you. I just ask for a few moments of your time."

This guy could pull a gun on me, or kidnap me or worse. Now would be a good time for my power to kick in, but it doesn't. Never when I need it to. The only thing I can do is stand here and listen.

The man takes my silence as an okay and begins. "I'm Steven from the OFH. Before you ask, it precisely stands for the Organization For Heroes."

"Heroes?"

"Let me finish," he spits. "Rowen, we know you have a gift. We've tracked it for years. We saw what happened to your school when you were in the 11th grade. We saw how a field simultaneously exploded with fire in the 5th grade. We know. And we know it was you."

I can't leave. He knows me. He knows my secrets. I could still run, but I stay.

"How?" was all I managed to say.

The man strides away from my motorcycle, now comfortable with talking. "There are other people like you, Rowen. People with abilities. And we want to help you. We want to bring them together to make something great."

"Why?"

He clears his throat and clasps his hands together. "The world is under siege. Things from this world and other worlds threaten us and we need people like you to help us stop it."

"Wait, other worlds? And why me? There are others out there who are like me supposedly?"

"You were chosen, selected more like. And quite frankly, I don't see why given your attitude."

"You don't know me," I snap.

"Exactly my point. I've seen your behavior. You don't have any respect for authority, you do what you want, you don't make good grades, and you have no manners, and you've been taken into custody countless times. But you were chosen anyway."

"Hey, I was only in "jail" a few times."

"Forty-seven to be exact," he corrects.

I scoff, shaking my head. "This is insane."

"Just take this paper," he says. He hands it to me. "You will report there on the time listed at that address if your interested. And please do take your time deciding. And if you can't make it, that wouldn't be the worst possible outcome to happen."

"You'd like that wouldn't you?" I say, skimming over the paper.

"At least you can read between lines. Think it over Rowen and I will possibly see you tomorrow. Possibly not."

He starts to walk away to a black car I did not see in the back of the lot.

"Nice to meet you too, Steven," I mumble sarcastically. He steps in the back and the car drives off.

I decide to read the paper when I get back to my doorm. I don't want to get anymore deals here being in the dark. I get on my motorcycle, put on my helmet and drive. The city lights flash on me.

The whole time I'm thinking how bizarre this is. An "Organization For Heroes". This could be a set up. Leading me into a trap to the unknown. If that Steven guy was gonna do something, he would have done it then. He had a perfect opportunity.

And plus they have been watching me? The organization? Probably a bunch of old guys in suits. Steven knows my name too. They know who I am and I don't have a clue of who they are which is scary. And if they know a lot about me, they would have hurt me by now if they wanted to.

I hurry home to read the paper. I unlock my door to my messy doorm room. Best part of having a doorm: living on campus. Worst part about living in a doorm: living on campus.

I turn on my bedside lamp and take the note out of my pocket. It specifically reads, Dear Miss Thompson, we would like to employ you for our OFH, Organization For Heroes. You have shown incredible abilities that have struck us. This organization is for the greater good. We have a facility right outside of Arizona that will help with the following: maintain control of your abilities, teach one to control emotion, work well in teams, improve self-esteem and well-being, and teach one discipline. If you are interested in the following, please report to 187 Sisto Drive at 4 pm sharp. We appreciate your time for reading this letter and we hope to see you there.

- OFH

"Holy shit," I say.

I rub my head and fall down on my bed. My clock says it's 1:27 right now and I'm exhausted. This is crazy. This can't be real. I guess I'm not the only one out there like this. He mentioned worlds. He mentioned more people. The letter said it all. What the fuck do I do? As I lie down thinking about it, I soon drift off into a deep sleep.

[▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎]